X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Expensive TV cables are a rip-off: Choice

"Although the results were slightly in favour of the more expensive brand for longer lengths, the differences were not enough to conclude any brand delivers a significantly better result," the report said.

"Results for the digital audio cable were even more conclusive, with no advantage to be gained through the use of more expensive cables for better performance."
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

So now we're at a crossroads w/cables as well. This same sentiment applies to many that don't feel the high cost of Blu-ray justifies the jump to the so called better picture. I've seen the difference. There is a difference, but the costs are way too high, and the equipment that'll produce those costs are very few indeed.

I learned a lesson recently regarding products. My disappointment at this time will probably be overwritten by something better, as more than not there's always a blessing in disguise. Technology though has to be reckoned with. There's no way around that. We ride each wave as long as we can until it hits the beach. Sometimes it hits the beach quickly, and sometimes it takes its time. Inevitably it will die and get there, and when it does there'll be another one right behind. So is it better to ride a new wave each time? It depends on how you ride that wave. With no expectations one can safely reach the shore each and every time.

Sony's learning about high expectations, and every manufacturer is right behind them learning what wave is going to be best surfed by the consumer.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Aren't all HDMI cables the same (since the data is digital and as long as it can get from point A to point B it'll be the same in the end)?

I got 4 HDMI cables for $20 total at ThingFling... take that, brands like Monster selling a single cable for $30+!
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

The simple rule of thumb is that all digital cables (HDMI, optical) are the same, unless you want long length cables (10m+), then you have to be a little bit more careful. For normal length, look only at the price. Unless you have a recommendation, probably steer clear of the ultra cheap "too good to be true" types, because they might be broken inside the box or will break after extended plugging in/out. Definitely stay clear of the most expensive ones.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Good to know as after my vacation I'm going to be looking for a HDTV. Surprisingly Time Warner was pumping 5.1 digital audio on one of the networks a while back, and since the only set left in the house is a flat monitor analog it couldn't accept it and there was no audio. Also the cable box started reprogramming itself to 1080p n there was no picture. I had to unplug the cable box, and plug it back in so it could reprogram to 480i.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• copyless
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2006

For almost all my cable needs from Cat 5, coax, HDMI, component, etc., I usually find that Monoprice has some of the best cables and prices you can find. They are well put together and have great pricing and delivery service.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Thnx for that Monoprice site. Just checked it out. I've just learned not to stay w/just 1 vendor and get complacent.

@ Admin Thx for that tip on the wires being the same also. I got duped into buying the Gold plated RCA cables for my DVD player/recorder. Sales guy said the connection was better than the metal ones.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2006

That may fine and good, but the jacks that the connector should be also gold. If not then that defeats the purpose of have the gold. But there is a liquid made by Craig Labs that stops the corrosion(not actually,but could not think of a better term) on the connectors. That will happen even more when 2 dissimilar metals are put together.
                Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• ed klein
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2004

From an electrical viewpoint:

Cables only
                  1st choice would be the fiber optic cable the thickest diameter possible.
                  Less chance of cracking or breaking and less resistance in the cable.
                  2nd choice would be copper conductor.

Connectors only
                  Get connectors with the least amount of ressistance (ohlms) in the connectors any metal that gives the least amount of resistance when touched together.

Your overall objective is to have cables and connectors with the least amount of resistance to keep the current flow as high as possible. High pressure type connectors would be good too.
                  Last edited by ed klein; 13 Mar 2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• copyless
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2006

doctor, the term you are trying to think of is electrolysis or if immersed it is galvanic corrosion they are both caused by dissimilar metals causing a battery effect. Electrolysis is caused by the direct current being led astray by the different materials, and galvanic corrosion is caused by placing the two materials in an electrolyte such as seawater. An excellent example of this is found on boats, you may notice on some boats they have a zinc plate bolted to the foot for this reason.

All these are good points, but again Mono has everything you need and unlike other manufacturers, when you are running long lengths of say speaker wire with high wattage, their cables are about as close as you will ever get to the correct gauge as anyone available. When you order say a 10 gauge wire you will get almost a true 10g wire, not some 12 or 14g with thicker insulation, like many people sell. I have bought from numerous suppliers, and without at least doubling the cost, I do not believe you will find better. At least I have been very happy with everything I have ever used from them, and I have bought and installed a lot of their cabling.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎