X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Apple confirms no DRM, authentication, just licensing

A proprietary chip available exclusively through Apple was discovered in the new iPod Shuffle's headphones last week. This discovery touched off speculation that Apple had added the chip as a means to force third-party manufacturers to pay a licensing fee in order to produce headphones compatible with the new iPod Shuffle and the possible roles of the chip being able to provide authentication or DRM.

-- snip --

With the introduction of this chip, Apple seems to have extended 'Made for iPod' certification to headphones/remotes that work with the iPod shuffle

-- snip --

The implication is that Apple has further extended their control over 3rd party accessories for the iPod.

So not really copy protection, but rather, licensing protection to keep third party products in line.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Which is still stupid nonetheless. I'm happy with my Zune, I'll avoid iPods for as long as the company is in existence.

Any word on the supposed 100% iTunes-Plus store coming April 1? I still see plenty of music that still has DRM.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...