intact (for BD25 encoding only).
    - Extended the timeout of the beta. Since I haven't
    had a lot of spare time lately, I want to make
    sure the program doesn't timeout for anyone between
    version releases. The timeout is NOT meant to limit
    use but instead to keep me from having to readdress
    the same bugs over-and-over.
    - Made several changes to accommodate naming
    convention in newer versions of TSMUXER.
    - Updated X264 to version r1130. Includes several
    speed improvements.
    - Fixed an error related to pass reporting on certain
    types of encodes.
    - Reduced the default target size for BD-25. The new
    setting of 24450 was too large for BD-RB (which has
    a limit of 23098).
    - Added setting of the CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE as an option
    in the SETUP dialog.
    - Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
    You can download the BD-RB beta from this link: BD-RB Thread @ Doom9
    Last edited by UncasMS; 31 May 2010, 02:07 PM.
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

And, if you like it, don't forget to donate to its development. An awful lot of work has been put into this by jdobbs.

Regards
    Last edited by blutach; 1 Dec 2009, 08:04 PM.
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Sophocles
      • Jul 2004

And, if you like it, don't forget to donate to its development. An awful lot of work has been put into this by jdobbs.
      A little late but so what?

I do and I have and as always it's well worth it.
      Last edited by blutach; 1 Dec 2009, 08:04 PM.
      "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Can anyone give me a heads up the easy way to output a BD5? I've tried 2 runs and I get as output an .mkv file that's 2/3 the size of the input. Even though during the run it says "target size 4.27 GB" or whatever. It's like triple that size.

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

1. you sure want MKV instead of say m2ts as BD or AVCHD structure?

2. did you by chance keep HD audio in the setup?

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

I'm not sure what settings are supposed to do what. At first I set it to produce an .mkv and that was 2/3 the size of the input(set it to one pass "good" profile 720P)

The 2nd time I thought I set it to BD5 1080P one pass "good" but I got the exact same .mkv when I thought I'd get a 5 GB structure. In the log it even says "target size 4.27 GB" but then I get a 13 GB .mkv file. It's weird.

I get the impression you can't get 5 GB output without 6 hours of processing. The one pass was quick as in close to playtime but the output is way large. The thing I like is it gives progress, so some extent... 'cept at the end where it says it's 100% done then goes on for 20 more minutes.

Trouble with this HD stuff is trial and error takes forever.

edit: Ok, I just deleted the folder and unzipped clean. I see the default is BD5 so I just didn't change anything. It's going now and says something about a 3850 or so bitrate, which sounds in the ballpark.

I guess you have to do 2 pass to get it small.

It will be interesting to see if my WD player will even play it.
            But if not I can always just mux it to .m2ts manually.
            Last edited by MilesAhead; 1 Jun 2010, 04:26 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

i never used bd rebuilder for mkv output so i'm not sure if there may be certain traps but i would not think so

just for testing purposes:

- do NOT go for mkv but use the "ordinary" movie only output
              - set size to your desired bd5
              - if you want to access different speed/encoding settings: DISable "automatic quality settings" and try "good" or "better" together with one pass CRF

those settings should take way less time than say high + 2 passes

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

I just started 2nd pass with defaults. Meaning unzipping to any empty folder and just choosing input and output. The bitrate looks good. 2nd pass is pegging my cores though. Looks like I'm either going to have to figure out how to make this quad quiet, or do stuff overnight on the dual core. For some reason even with both cores pegged you cannot hear any fan noise. Just the encodes take way longer.

The quad is good for jobs that are mostly muxing since I have good disk transfer speeds.

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

I gave MKV conversion a try today and experienced something similar:

BD5 was chosen, output was 9.9GB

well, would be interesting to see how the identical settings for quality and pass will end up for AVCHD output

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Guess for steady .mkv output it's tough to beat Simple AVI Creator. Only thing a bit disconcerting is there's no feedback when it will be done. On my dual core it's definitely an overnight deal. But so far it's never just quit with an error or anything like that.

I can't wait to see what happens with this image on WD player. Since I did the whole disc it probably won't know what to do. It will play "main movie" DVD .iso files but I've never seen it show a menu or any of that.

edit: for grins I created an .iso and stuck it on a USB key and put it in WD player. When I selected the .iso it played the largest .m2ts file, the main movie. But I didn't get any menus. Same as a regular DVD iso 'cept the player knows about .sup for DVDs for some reason. Guess it's so common they figured they had to support it.
                    Last edited by MilesAhead; 2 Jun 2010, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

I'm getting the hang of BDRB now. The better approach, for my set top box, since it likes .m2ts files more than .mkv anyway, is to output a custom size disc structure. I've been using 7200 MB with Movie Only mode and one pass abr "good" profile.

When done I just rename the .m2ts file in the streams folder and copy it to my USB drive. I'm getting good output on my quad core in less than the play time of the video.

Only thing missing for me now is the ability to burn in subs. A feature to let you edit the .avs file is on the to do list according to the author. I was hoping for some fast x264 tool that is stable and produces quality output. This is really working better than I hoped so far!! Nice software!!

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

i've been using bd rb for more than a year now and it's getting better any day

your wd does not show normal bd subtitles inside an m2ts?

it should, however, read and play external subs so the question is: have you tried to place the desired subtitle stream as idx & sub next to your m2ts?

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

I have Gen1 WD player. I did the firmware update that supposedly supports idx/sub subtitles. But they must be talking about text based subs because it never worked when I tried it. Sometimes I can get a good copy of .srt sub by using MkvExtractGui-2 to get the PGS stream, then BDSup2Sub to output 720x480 .sup, then DVDSubEdit automatic OCR and save as .srt.

With some subs though, more than half the lines are like underscores and symbols.
                          With Quick AVI Creator and other apps that let you edit the .avs I can use VSFilter and just burn in the idx/sub subs exported from BDSup2Sub using VobSub() function. That's why I asked dobbs if there was a way to edit the AviSynth script.

Cases where the auto OCR doesn't work are in the minority. But since QAC takes more than twice the time to encode it would be nice if I could always use BDRB. I imagine burning in the subs may slow it down a tad, but it should still crank compared to everything else I've tried.

Just for grins I made a disc structure with PGS sub and converted it to .iso to try on the WD player. It plays the movie but has no clue there's an embedded sub.

The other thing that's frustrating about the WD player, other than things going out of sync if you FF it, is there's also no support for XSubs in .divx. If I make a .divx with subs added by AviAddXSubs that plays fine on my stand-alone DVD player, again it has no clue there's a sub. So even if I have the .divx file on the USB I have to put an .srt in the same folder. According to the author of AviAddXSubs there's no available spec how the stand-alone players get the subtitle stream. I don't know how he muxes it in unless he did it by trial and error.
                          Last edited by MilesAhead; 10 Jun 2010, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2001

hmmm, sorry to hear that

Comment

• MilesAhead
                              Eclectician
                              • Nov 2006

It's not so bad if you only have to worry about forced subs. I did some today. There were 221 forced subs I think. The auto OCR got about 90% of 'em right. I put the .sup in BDSup2Sub and entered the numbers of the bad subs, then just typed 'em into Notepad. I only had to fix about 26 or 28 lines of text. It was worth it since I could cut about 2 hours off the encoding time.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎