Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is PS2 backwards compatibility coming back to the PS3, PS3 slim?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Is PS2 backwards compatibility coming back to the PS3, PS3 slim?

The latest rumour is that PS2 compatibility is coming back to the PS3. Only the original launch day PS3 had PS2 compatibility, but it was later removed from newer models to save cost. It might be coming back because Sony can now emulate the Emotion Engine (the PS2's engine) completely in software using the cell, which would no longer mean extra hardware cost.

It's unclear that if PS2 compatibility were to come back, whether it would apply to all existing PS3 (perhaps through a free update, or a purchasable item from PSN), or only the new (and also rumoured) PS3 slim.

This would make sense for Sony if they are indeed going to announce the end of line for the PS2, which is no longer selling in great numbers. The recent PS2 price drop may have been to clear inventory.

Still, there's not a lot of hard facts behind any of this, so take everything with a grain of salt.

More info here:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • copyless
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2006

See there are some plus sides to getting the original, as my PS3 has always played PS2 games, and is one of the ones that no update has ever affected badly.

So I say discontue the PS2 and do not add it to the new PS3's, this way I can get the games for nothing. jk

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I forgot to add that Sony might try and sell PS2 games through the PSN for PS3 owners (once the PS2 compatibility thing is added), just like how you can buy older console games on the 360 and Wii.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎