X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Kazaa Re-launched, Now Legal And Offering Unlimited Music Downloads

Kazaa is back in business and it's now legit. It uses a new all-you-can-eat model, for $19.98 per month, you get access to over a million premium tracks.

So far so good, but then you find that the music you download is infested with DRM and will only work on PCs, not your portable music player. And only 3 PCs can be used to play the music. This seriously affects the usability of the service, considering how the music industry in general has abandoned the usage of DRM already.

This may be just the industry's way of testing the waters in terms of an all-you-can-eat service. My thinking is that people would much rather prefer to pay and get legal music, as long as the price is fair (and $19.98/m is quite fair, if the available music library is extensive enough). You don't need DRM and everything because people will pay (the average teenager already pays way more probably in terms of cell phone charges). The industry is still cautious though, so you can think of DRM as the industry's floaties, and it will take a while before they realise the water is only a foot deep.

More:

Kazaa:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Doesn't Napster already have an all you can eat thing for less money?
    Still DRM'ed though... which is why I avoid it. I think those of you who know me know my strong feelings for DRM.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...