• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

RIAA Finally Admits DRM Is Dead

"DRM is dead, isn’t it?"

That's what Jonathan Lamy, chief spokesperson for the RIAA, said when asked about the RIAA's views on DRM.

And all it took was a bit of consumer protest, a few distributors that had the guts to drop DRM, and consumers voting with their wallet by choosing the (relatively) DRM-free services.

Now onto movies and gaming ...

More:

For years the RIAA has defended the use of DRM, much to the dislike of millions of honest customers who actually paid for their music. Now, in a shocking turnaround, the outfit seems to have come to the realization that DRM does more harm than good and has officially declared its death.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

It is a very slow and ruff road to be traveled. But in the end it does get the point across money talks.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Eh, DRM'ed videos are just as bad. If not worse.

But I do appreciate the iTunes Plus, I actually have a reason to use their store now. (256kbps m4a > 256kbps mp3, so it's still better than Amazon mp3)

All I want now is a store that sells FLAC files for a dollar each... I'd totally use it
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Jonathan Lamy now denies making such a statement. The actual statement he made was this:

There is virtually no DRM on music anymore, at least on download services, including iTunes
        Still sounds pretty much like he's staying DRM is dead (at least on download services) to me ...
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Except for the fact that there's Zune, Napster, the new KaZaA, etc... there are quite a few that still uses DRM.

It's just that nobody uses them.
          (Me included - I have a Zune and love it, but I just use the iTunes store for music... Zune supports unencrypted m4a, why not?)
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...