X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Is Copyright Anti-Property?

Techdirt has an interesting article that suggest copyright may in fact be anti-property. They cite the recent deletion by Amazon of (unauthorised) purchased copies of 1984, a most appropriate title to demonstrate the dangers of DRM.

I think that's been the struggle all along, to try and get a balance between owner's rights and purchaser's rights. This goes all the way back to DVD copying, about what the purchaser of the DVD is allowed to do with a disc they purchased in their own homes, while the content owners, through DRM, wants to limit those rights.

Copyright was never intended to protect content owners from their customers. No, it was designed to protect content owners from scrupulous publishers that made money using content they had no permission to use. Copyright should not be used to strip the public's rights, but that's what it is being used for right now.

Through increasing levels of DRM, the balance tips in favor of the content owners, and once you reach a point, purchaser then no longer own the content they purchased, rather, they only lease it. Through DRM, the whole intention of the copyright industry is to strip people of their property rights.

Communism did this. And it was eluded to in 1984. Except this time, it's not the government that is trying to take away your property, it's the corporations.

The Techdirt article:

One of the regular discussions we get into around here is over the question of whether or not things like copyright and patents are really property. The IP lawyers who insist that it’s just l…
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Copyright seems all about those scrupulous publishers...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...