James Cameron's New 3D Movie 'Avatar': The Start Of A New 3D Revolution?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

James Cameron's New 3D Movie 'Avatar': The Start Of A New 3D Revolution?

James Cameron is getting behind the cameras again to direct his new mega-budget movie, Avatar. What will be different, however, is that the movie will primarily be a 3D movie, using new 3D camera technology and requiring viewers to wear special glasses.

A small clip was previewed at Comic-Con, and audiences were thrilled with advances in 3D technology.

This is the latest in the recent trend of movies being released in 3D, Bolt and Ice Age 3 were prime recent examples. The cost of producing 3D is insignificant compared to extra revenue at the box office, and people seem to be willing to pay more for the full 3D experience at the cinemas.

There has also been several releases of 3D DVDs and Blu-ray movies, although most of them still using older anaglyph technology (those red and blue glasses). CE firms are keen to expand 3D for home viewing by having a standard in place for polarization or active shutter technology. Nvidia is also getting into the game with the GeForce 3D Vision kit, although it will also require gamers to upgrade their monitor to 120 Hz models - it uses the most advanced 3D technology available for home use, active-shutter technology, which requires special glasses with LCD shutters that is timed with the monitor so that each eye is only seeing the "right" perspective at any one time, thus producing 3D images. The reason 120 Hz monitors are required is because as each eye is only seeing half the images, the resulting refresh rate is half of the monitor's - today's 60 Hz monitors would mean each eye is only seeing 30 Hz, which is not enough to ensure a smooth picture.

It's still too early to tell if we're just going through another phase in our love, hate, relationship with 3D, or that the technology is finally here to make 3D a viable alternative to traditional 2D movies. My feeling is that people are ready for 3D, although it will never be mainstream until no glasses are required for the viewer (holographic technology anyone?).

More on Avatar and it's new 3D filming techniques:

James Cameron's Avatar promises to take 3-D cinematography to an unrivaled level, using a more nimble 3-D camera system that he helped invent.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Haven't they had polarized lenses in the IMAX for years?
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Yes, and there was a polarization based monitor for home use released a few years ago, but active shutter is the more advanced (and more expensive) technology, although it's been considered too expensive and not viable for home use (thanks to the lack of 120 Hz LCD monitors), until just recently.

Avatar's advances are in the way the film is shot, using new 3D techniques that allows for better and more immersive effects that better simulates what the human eye sees, and the fact that it's the biggest budget ever ($200+ million) for a 3D film.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

Disney Quest use to use the active shutter. I worked there for a while at Chicago, downtown location. When the glasses stopped working, had to replace the battery and it would start working again.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...