X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Game Publisher Ubisoft Plans To Tackle PC, DS Piracy

Ubisoft has been crying over lost sales on PC and the DS platforms, while admitting that console piracy in general is quite low.

Their plan to tackle PC piracy including a new "tool", which may be a vague reference to a new form of DRM. Yves Guillemot, Chairman and CEO of Ubisoft had this to say:

We are working on a tool that would allow us to decrease that (piracy) on the PC starting next year and probably one game this year.
    Their DS anti-piracy strategy is somewhat different. Their plan is to include extra goodies such as figurines and other things in the game boxes, that would otherwise not be available on pirated versions.

I don't see why they can't take the same approach the both problems, by offering exclusive content on PC versions. I'm not talking about figurines, but perhaps some kind of downloadable content that's free and exclusive to legitimate versions, and if they do this, I think people will be willing to put up with online authentication. Sure, the downloadable content may get pirated too, but the trick is to the make the retail version easier to use/obtain and more feature rich than the pirated version, as that's the best way to tackle the piracy problem.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Oh figurines, I would totally not play the game if I didn't have one *rolls eyes*

Seriously, DS anti-piracy is stupid, there are ways around it anyway. And seriously, I think if there were any DS games *worth buying*, the results would speak for themselves.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡