X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Paramount To Release Blu-ray First, DVD Second, On Selected Titles

Paramount is planning to stagger releases by releasing the Blu-ray and DVD rental version of movies first, and then releasing the sell-through DVD version of the movie up to 8 weeks later. The first title to be part of this program will be the movie Dance Flick.

Now I've been critical of this kind of strategy in the past, even before Blu-ray was released, as studios have been trying forever to have a system where the sell-through DVD version can be delayed for sale in order to gain better rental agreements and income. The "rental only" DVD version of movies (versions without extra features) were part of this plan, which has since failed quite miserably. Limiting the ability to purchase movies will not help rentals, only piracy.

The only difference now is that Blu-ray's in the mix and it would be suicide to delay the sale of the Blu-ray version along with the DVD version, not for such a new format and not when profits are up for the format. But the problem remains that by delaying the sell-through DVD version, to artificially inflate DVD rental and Blu-ray income, it's only going to drive more people to pirate movies. Let's imagine someone who wants to own the movie, not rent it, but don't have Blu-ray - they will see the Blu-ray version being sold at stores, and the movie available for rent, and they will be thinking to themselves, why do I have to wait 8 week to get the "privilege" to fork over my hard earned cash to studios? Why not just torrent it, and then buy later if I'm still in the mood, after all, it's the studios themselves that have been denying me the ability to own the movie.

So it's probably a good thing that Paramount has not decided to do this with all their movie releases, just on selected titles. We'll see if this improves their revenue, or if this actually helps to decrease their DVD revenues (which still account for most of their income from the home video market).

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I'm just waiting for a dual format disc.

What I want to see is Blu-Ray and DVD on the same layer of the same disc... so that the same disc will play in HD on my PS3, and still play on a DVD player. I know they're working on it... but once they perfect that, I think it'll do a lot better than releasing them separately. (That's the main reason I don't buy Blu-Rays much... because I hate not being able to play them on my other TVs. I still usually buy DVDs and rent the Blu-Rays when I want to watch a movie in HD)
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

I use Netflix for my Blu-Rays, then I convert them to MP4 format at 1.5gb to 2.0gb and the quality surpasses the DVD by leaps and bounds. This allows me to store all my HD movies with minimal space on my NAS for every computer in the house to use..... who'da thunk one could fit 4 BR movies on an 8gb thumb drive?

Comment

Working...