X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

YouTube's ContentID Gives Copyright Owners Money For Illegal Uploads

YouTube's ContentID program scans for video uploads and match them according to content - if the content found matches the copyrighted upload, then the copyright owners are informed.

The owners now have two options. They can force the deletion of the video, or if they're smart, they can accept the illegal upload and make money off the illegally uploaded content.

And if only part of the content is copyrighted (for example, the music), then only part of the revenue is shared with the copyright owners.

This then allows users to continue uploading videos they make, but instead of making users pay, YouTube's advertisers are the one paying the copyright owners, and everyone's happy. Or are they? Unfortunately, Warner refuses to get with the program because they believe the royalties are too small. But with hit viral videos getting up to a million dollars in ad revenues per day, asking for more does seem rather greedy.

More:

You know how digital music works: People get sued, content gets deleted, startups go bankrupt. But with its ContentID program YouTube has created a mechanism that makes it just as easy for copyright owners to make money from unauthorized uploads as to order them deleted, the system’s design purpose. And they are starting to get with […]
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Heh, and it's all the same on my end, Ad Muncher keeps me free of the corporate evilness so I can enjoy ad-free copyrighted videos all day long
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...