X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Plasma TVs: Best Picture Quality, But Nobody Wants One

Just saw an article that read pretty much like an obituary for plasma TVs - basically saying that while plasma is better than LCD, it is still going the way of the dinosaurs due to various reasons.

There is no arguing that a good plasma is better than most LCDs, and that even a cheap on will certainly be better than a cheap LCD.

The main reason for the lack of support for plasma TVs is that manufacturers just don't want to make plasma TVs, because LCDs are so common in all sorts of devices, the increased production has meant a decrease in costs, and so manufacturers have greater profit margins with LCDs. This is why Pioneer pulled out of the plasma market - they simply cannot compete on price with LCDs, despite offering picture quality that only OLED TVs can beat.

And the fewer the manufacturers willing to take on plasma, the higher the production costs. Only Panasonic, LG and Samsung are still producing plasma TVs, but all three also produce LCDs. Panasonic is keen to promote plasma, and has tied in new 3D technology in their plasma sets with James Cameron's upcoming 3D movie, Avatar.

I for one hope that plasma doesn't die, even if it has to be content with just 7% market share (which as the article points out, is about the same as Apple's market share in the PC arena - and I don't think Apple will stop making computers anytime soon). Until new technology such as OLED become mainstream (I'm sorry Sony, but I'm not going to shell out $2000+ for a eleven inch OLED screen, no matter how thin or how good it looks), plasmas still have a place and if you're serious about getting the best possible picture quality, the deepest blacks, the most vibrant colours, no viewing angle issues - then plasma is still the way to go.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

as a [2] Panasonic Plasma's owner,
    I couldn't agree more..

my whole immediate family members, when they got into buying a HD tv,
    bought Plasma tv's.

the biggest reason was the 99% viewing angle..
    they could see the difference from a LCD.
    2nd was the rich, real like face color...

hope they continue production....

cannot believe buyers don;t see the limited LCD viewing angle,[most of them anyway] in the stores before they buy.
    probably still being scared by salesman about the outdated screen burn-in problem.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

I own a Panasonic plasma too!

I'm sad to see plasmas are dying off... I've always liked them better than LCDs because a lot of LCDs look pixelated to me, even with HD content. Shame.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

Last month (July) I got a 50" plasma and my son got a 58" Samsung plasma. IMO the plasma has better colors/picture. And with the money I saved I feel it was a hands down winner.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

Although I do not have one, what I saw, with the plasma's TVs had rich colors. The colors were very deep and crisp. Due to pricing I will probably get a LCD TV. There are no artifacts that is displayed, like can be displayed with a LCD panel.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• rago88
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Aug 2005

btw:
            talking about price...
            I think you actually get more real estate with a plasma.

the 42" Panasonic we bought 3yrs for 2,300.00 US
            now sells for 650-700.00.

A 50" 1080i plasma back then was over 3,000.00.
            A 50" 1080P plasma can be got now for 1,000.00
            with more HDMI inputs and memory card slots.

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

I have to watch my money, I guess I will have to save up and get a plasma. I will probably get a 42". That way it will be a little easier for me to move it. I am not suppose to lift or carry anything that is heavier then 10 Lbs, due to a back injury.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

When you get to about 50" or above, plasma prices are quite competitive. It's only the 42" and smaller screens where LCD are better value price wise, and in the case of sub 42", where LCD dominate completely since plasmas usually don't come in these smaller sizes.
                Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

That is what I was seeing when doing online price comparisons.

Comment

Working...