X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Microsoft's Free Anti-Virus Software Released

Microsoft Security Essentials has been released. The free software aims to provide protection to those who are unwilling to pay for security software, but it has already been dismissed by makers of well known security suites as "lightweight", and not "tuned for new forms of attack being used by hackers".

In any case, there's really no excuse now for people not to have security software on their computers, considering the range of free software now available, including (in no particular order) AVG, Avast, Avira for anti-virus, Zone Alarm for firewall, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for malware scanning.

Get it here:

Explore the versatility of Microsoft’s Windows 11 operating system. Find out how our latest Windows OS gives you more ways to work, play, and create.
    Last edited by admin; 30 Sep 2009, 01:55 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is so much better than all the rest of those... LOL

I'm sticking with my combo of AVG and Malwarebytes, I don't need more useless Windows products cluttering up my hard drive
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

Have been trying it for a while, Windows 7 x 2 machines, no complaints so far.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

I now feel too many purposely try to put MS down, and sometimes for obvious reasons because of past laxed practices, especially regarding security. I think I might just give it a try. Already 2 more experienced members have had no isues with it and that's good enough to give it a try.

Anyone really have any proof besides so called top security suites calling it "Lightweight"?

I did download it for a quick min. when 1st a trial, and it was lightweight, but not in a negative way. It was pretty fast, and seemed to have a decent virus database.

Btw, can it be accompanied by Malwarebytes which is not running constantly? Thnx.
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Wombler
          Affable Wanderer
          • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
          Anyone really have any proof besides so called top security suites calling it "Lightweight"?
          I suppose we'll have to wait a short while for the comparative reviews to appear.

Shouldn't be too long though as it's likely to be a hot topic in the computer press.

Wombler

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

I now feel too many purposely try to put MS down, and sometimes for obvious reasons because of past laxed practices, especially regarding security. I think I might just give it a try. Already 2 more experienced members have had no isues with it and that's good enough to give it a try.

I did download it for a quick min. when 1st a trial, and it was lightweight, but not in a negative way. It was pretty fast, and seemed to have a decent virus database.

Btw, can it be accompanied by Malwarebytes which is not running constantly? Thnx.
            You should have no problem with it installed & also having Malwarebytes.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Thnx Wombler and Soup. I installed it last night. If anything I'll just take it out and put Avira back. I'll do my best to give MS a fair chance on this. I usually just stay away from everything they put out except Windows for obvious reasons. Lol... Maybe the so called upcoming Chrome OS will be promising. Who knows.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• soup
                Just Trying To Help
                • Nov 2005

You are welcome. Actually since going to W7, I have been using their firewall & WMP 12, but with Shark installed. So I guess I am starting to use a few of their products.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Originally Posted by soup
                  You are welcome. Actually since going to W7, I have been using their firewall & WMP 12, but with Shark installed. So I guess I am starting to use a few of their products.

Thnx Soup. Shark is a media player correct? If so, how is it fairing?

Comment

• doctorhardware
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2006

I have been using the MS av here for a while here too, and so far I have had no problems either. It has been very stable, I have no complaints.
                    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• soup
                      Just Trying To Help
                      • Nov 2005

Thnx Soup. Shark is a media player correct? If so, how is it fairing?
                      It's Codecs & a component tool.

Comment

• Wombler
                        Affable Wanderer
                        • Jul 2006

Thnx Wombler and Soup. I installed it last night. If anything I'll just take it out and put Avira back. I'll do my best to give MS a fair chance on this. I usually just stay away from everything they put out except Windows for obvious reasons. Lol... Maybe the so called upcoming Chrome OS will be promising. Who knows.
                        No problem dr_ml422.

And as if by magic here's one of the first comparative reviews!

Wombler

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

@ Soup Codecs have always been a pita in my experience. That I really have to consider giving a try again, especially given that certain apps. used for video etc... need them.

Also WMP 12 I guess it was 12 on 7 64, popped up and asked me to register it blah, blah, blah. That also raises a small red flag of concern. Not that I'm doing anything crazy, but just the thought that they might be monitoring its use bothers me. I don't like when MS says personal info will not be collected. Why put that in there to begin with?

Let me know your sentiments about that, and anyone else can add something too. A positive note to its use is more appealing though as I already noted the negative I see.

@ Wombler Thnx for that review it looks like the MS AV is doing well, and the beta at that time. It's in full force now. Avira at top , but I wonder if it's because it's been out longer as a free alternative so more feedback/evidence available for results.

Comment

• Wombler
                            Affable Wanderer
                            • Jul 2006

@ Wombler Thnx for that review it looks like the MS AV is doing well, and the beta at that time. It's in full force now. Avira at top , but I wonder if it's because it's been out longer as a free alternative so more feedback/evidence available for results.
                            My pleasure.

It's only a comparison of the various freeware offerings, and as you say it was only the beta version, but at least it gives some sort of relative perspective on things.

There are bound to be more comprehensive reviews of the full version available soon.

Wombler

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

@ Soup Codecs have always been a pita in my experience. That I really have to consider giving a try again, especially given that certain apps. used for video etc... need them.

Also WMP 12 I guess it was 12 on 7 64, popped up and asked me to register it blah, blah, blah. That also raises a small red flag of concern. Not that I'm doing anything crazy, but just the thought that they might be monitoring its use bothers me. I don't like when MS says personal info will not be collected. Why put that in there to begin with?

Let me know your sentiments about that, and anyone else can add something too. A positive note to its use is more appealing though as I already noted the negative I see.

As long as you uncheck the right boxes when you setup WMP12, they get nothing. As for the Shark007 Codecs, I have been using them for a while & had no issues. I have both VLC & WMP12 going. I don't register anything I don't have to & this I don't believe I have to.
                              Last edited by soup; 4 Oct 2009, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Working...