Ad Supported MP3 Downloads - Will It Work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Ad Supported MP3 Downloads - Will It Work?

There's a new concept in trying to make free music downloads profitable - by adding ads to them.

To download the DRM-free MP3 from Free All Music, you'll first have to watch a video ad, and then the song is yours to keep.

Obviously, a few problems might arise, as one would people be willing to put up with the annoying ads with free (albeit illegal) alternatives around, and also whether the ads themselves is enough to be able to support the cost of the music download itself. As mentioned in the Techdirt article (linked below), each view of the ad needs to pay off the $0.67 per song cost of the downloads - that's the usual cost of almost 1000 views for your typical banner ad, and while video ads are more expensive, they're not 1000 times more so.

I personally believe that the second of the above two problems will be the major one, and if Free All Music can solve this problem, then I don't think they'll have trouble finding people using their service. Viewing an ad may be annoying, but it will make you feel less guilty, and make you feel a lot more secure legally.

More:

I’ve seen all sorts of business models involving “free, but ad supported” music, but none of them really seem sustainable. This latest one is different, but I’m still not su…
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I've wanted ad-supported free content for quite a while now!

Mainly since I got Ad Muncher and said ads don't even display on my computer
    But that's their problem, not mine.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...