X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

PS3 to get Netflix Streaming

Adding to Netflix's impressive list of supported hardware will soon be Sony's PS3, joining Microsoft's Xbox 360 which has had Netflix streaming for a year now with great success.

But it's not all good news, as the PS3's Netflix functionality will not be built into the console, but rather, only accessible through a Blu-ray disc. Users will first have to insert the special disc and then access Netflix using Blu-ray's BD-live functionality. While other Blu-ray players that use this method often produces a clunky user experience, it should work better on the PS3 as does most Blu-ray movies due to the more powerful processor and improved response speeds.

The PS3 Netflix service, via the Blu-ray disc, will be available at the end of the year. Users can already reserve their copy of the disc right now.

More:

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Get your copy of the Netflix disc here:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Man, we have Blockbuster, not Netflix... I wonder if that'll ever have console streaming.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Alien Bay
      Always learning
      • Oct 2004

I bought a Samsung Blu-Ray (BD-P1590) two weeks ago that currently streams Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora and YouTube.

The YouTube, as you can imagine is by nature, clunky.

I don't have an account with Blockbuster so I can't speak to that one.

The Netflix is awesome and the Pandora (both require online registration to connect to the player) migrated all of my stations that I created online. The Netflix feature is phenomenol as there are so many Instant Views available.

It's a little curious that the PS3 would require a Blu-Ray disc (unless it's just a money making option) as with my player, all you need is a network connection (it does support a wireless connection, but according to the manual, you can only use a Wireless Samsung USB Lan adapter... I assume the drivers are compatible only with their adapter). I think it's separate from the BD-Live function (which requires a 1 Gb min USB drive, not included.)
      APOD

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Yes, it is a bit strange that the PS3 would require a disc to access Netflix. I would have thought it would be easy, given the PS3's amble HDD space, to produce a native Netflix app for it, along the lines of the Folding@Home client. Perhaps that will come in due time.

The disc itself uses Blu-ray's BD-Live, and I can't but help to think that Sony may have insisted on this to promote Blu-ray, since if you think about it, Netflix streaming is a direct competitor to disc based distribution.

I also wonder if the disc would work on other BD-Live Blu-ray players, and whether this means all BD-Live players can now work with Netflix?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

The disc is probably for DRM purposes... possibly to not allow streaming if you're not using HDCP or something. (I know with the Xbox 360, I plugged it in my DVD recorder and tried to record some free demo clips off there and it simply refused to record it, since apparently the Xbox has some insanely new Macrovision - and unlike with VHS, my recorder won't look the other way)

And hmm, they make Blu-Ray players that stream Blockbuster? Is that an addon feature or they just come that way? I was kinda annoyed when I got my Xbox 360, as it ONLY supported Netflix, and I don't think the PS3 supports Blockbuster either... oh well, now that I'm in college and don't have as much time to watch movies, I suppose I'll settle with renting DVDs...
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Alien Bay
            Always learning
            • Oct 2004

This is from July.
            Last edited by Alien Bay; 28 Oct 2009, 01:42 AM.
            APOD

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by Alien Bay
              I bought a Samsung Blu-Ray (BD-P1590) two weeks ago that currently streams Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora and YouTube.
              i have the samsung bd-p1600 in use since february and they added support for youtube and MKV/MP4 via firmware update recently

my question is: does the 1590 also play mkv/mp4 these days or is there still a difference between 1590 and 1600?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Oh Samsung, eh?

My TV is Panasonic. With a PS3...
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Alien Bay
                  Always learning
                  • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by UncasMS

my question is: does the 1590 also play mkv/mp4 these days or is there still a difference between 1590 and 1600?
                  Uncas,
                  I have no idea and am not sure how to tell. I don't see any reference in the manual re: these files.
                  I bought this at Sam's Club a couple of weeks ago and the manual, on the front, says it's for models;

BD-P1590
                  BD-P1590C
                  BD-P1600
                  APOD

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

Netflix spokesman says that an "embed" solution, that is one without the need of an external disc, should be available next year for the PS3. Looks like the disc was just a temporary solution, a quick fix to get Netflix support on the PS3 going.

Comment

• Derree
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jul 2005

Now if we could get this in canada lol, we still can't download movies or tv shows on ps3 yet, and netflix itself isn't available here at all...
                      sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
                      good
                      -------------------------------------------

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

Well it took a while, but Netflix streaming without using a Blu-ray disc is finally coming to the PS3, a whole year after the disc version was released. A new firmware in October 2010 will fully integrate Netflix into the PS3:

Last edited by admin; 25 Jul 2010, 03:01 AM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

Originally Posted by admin
                          Well it took a while, but Netflix streaming with disc is finally coming to the PS3, a whole year after the disc version. A new firmware in October 2010 will fully integrate Netflix into the PS3:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...y_October/5114
                          Admin do you mean Netflix streaming w/out the Disc? I got confused here for a second.
                          SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

Sorry, you're right. Edited post to correct a few things ...

Comment

Working...