X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

DRM Ruins Avatar 3D Preview In Germany

Avatar (1080p HD trailer) opens in German theaters this week, but many were lucky enough to catch a preview screening of it in glorious 3D. That is, if you were fortunate enough to be in a cinema where the DRM system actually worked.

As cinema patrons waited patiently for the 3D spectacular, the DRM system failed to decrypt the 3D version of the movie. The decryption process involves retrieving and verifying certificates, time-sensitive decryption keys and the decoding of other encrypted systems, but at least at one cinema, the whole things failed and the excited cinema goers had to watch the 2D version instead.

The problems have been fixed for the premier, but it has definitely ruined the experience of the few that went to the preview expecting the 3D version, and had to stay and watch the 2D version instead (hopefully most of them walked out and decided to waited for the 3D version, which is the whole point of the movie according to director James Cameron and the way the movie is supposed to be seen).

More:

Avatar, the long-awaited science fiction epic from James Cameron will launch this week, but already some lucky individuals have seen the movie. The same cannot be said of attendees at a 3D preview showing in Germany yesterday though. The movie's DRM 'protection' system failed and the video could not be decoded.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Yet more proof that digital "rights" management sucks.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...