X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Hollywood Proposes New DRM Scheme

Another CES and another new DRM. But this time, at least the consumer has been added to the equation, and not simply considered the enemy as in all previous cases.

Hollywood studios, well everyone except Disney, aims to solve the problem of incompatibility and lack of portability of existing digital downloads. When you rent or buy a digital download, it is often locked to that single device. Their solution to this problem is to have an ecosystem of compatible devices that will allow you to play your purchased/rented files across these devices, after online authentication of course. The proposed system is called Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE), and it has the support of all major studios except for Disney (which has its own variation of the same thing in Keychest), and companies including Microsoft, Cisco Systems, Comcast, Intel and Best Buy.

But while consumers will now get more devices to play their purchased content, everything still requires DRM, and online authentication and other hoops that they will have to jump through. This may mean that users need to connect online everytime they want to watch a movie, and that if their Internet connections fails or the authentication server fails, then their movie collection becomes inaccessible.

Compared to say your typical purchased MP3s, which is DRM free except for non intrusive DRM in the form of identification information (which is a deterrent against piracy, although just like all other forms of DRM, can be easily stripped), and how easy it is to transfer and play these MP3s on various devices, you can see that DECE (and Keychest) seems to be Hollywood's attempt at delaying the inevitable. The inevitable being DRM free movies along the same lines as MP3s. Those that go through the pirate route will still pirate, and no amount of DRM will stop pirated versions being leaked online. So all intrusive DRM does is to confuse and annoy consumers, and as the music industry found out, consumers are not willing to put up with it. It seems Hollywood is not learning from the mistakes of the music industry, although it is trying to placate the average consumer's disdain for DRM by making it more compatible, and only time will tell if this works.

More:

Hollywood and its high-tech partners are trying to create a digital standard that would let consumers buy or rent a movie once and then play it on any device.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Disney Keychest bugs me.

I bought Up!, and redeemed my code for the Digital Copy version... it then said "You can also unlock an online stream!" so I went to the site where it told me the code was no longer valid.
    I followed THEIR link, but oh well, it's obviously a flawed system.

I'd be all for iTunes Plus Digital Copies.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
      Disney Keychest bugs me.

I bought Up!, and redeemed my code for the Digital Copy version... it then said "You can also unlock an online stream!" so I went to the site where it told me the code was no longer valid.
      I followed THEIR link, but oh well, it's obviously a flawed system.

I'd be all for iTunes Plus Digital Copies.
      I don't think that's Keychest, that's just the normal Digital Copy stuff (some studios opt to bundle the digital copy version on a separate DVD, others prefer for you to download it online).

Keychest won't be deployed until the end of 2010, and it's looking more like it will offer online storage, where the "purchased" movie is stored in an online server that allows you access to it from various devices:

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Well whatever it is, it clearly didn't work.

The little page with the redemption code said something like "Now use your code in two ways!", one pointing to the traditional DisneyFile Digital Copy, and the other pointing to a website, saying you can now unlock a digital streaming version of it.

From the looks of it, all you have to do is log into that site from any computer (of course, the requirements are super strict, you have to have Firefox 3.5 or IE8 or something, so I had to jump through loops to make it work for me anyway), and then you can watch it.
        But I have no way of testing it since it denied my code 5 seconds after telling me how to redeem it.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

The Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE) has now been renamed to a more consumer friendly name, UltraViolet, and has even launched a new website, http://www.uvvu.com/.

Five different DRM standards will be used for various content, including Adobe Flash Access, CMLA-OMA V2, Marlin open standard, Microsoft’s PlayReady and Widevine.

Interestingly, the movie Ultraviolet, produced by a subsidiary of Sony (main backers of DECE/UltraViolet), was about guerrilla fighters fighting an authoritarian dictatorial government. Crackers versus studios?

More:

The Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE), the cross-industry consortium looking to establish a “buy once, play anywhere” digital locker philosophy for content, has decided on a consumer brand name: UltraViolet.

Comment

• bobmacans
            • Jun 2010

Great if that's true.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

The official timetable for UltraViolet was announced at the CES, and it will be available as soon as the middle of this year:

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

For those wondering how UltraViolet might work, please refer to this news article I've written:

The way we buy movies may just be about to change, thanks to a new system called UltraViolet unveiled at the CES

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎