X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

PS3 Firmware Update Now Mandatory

The 3.15 PS3 firmware is now mandatory, and users are forced to install it if they want to continue using the PS3. Previous updates have always been optional, meaning users can choose to skip the update if they're not interested in the new features and don't play online.

This updated was made mandatory because of an issue with in game trophies, which if not corrected, may make it impossible for some gamers to acquire trophies.

This could represent a big problem for many users as firmware updates for the PS3 are known to cause the console to brick, or at the very least, cause the Blu-ray drive to stop reading any media. The so called "Yellow Light of Death" is also another symptom that seems to show up with increasing likelihood after a firmware update. A quick browse of Sony's official PS3 forums shows that people have experienced similar problems after installing the 3.15 firmware. Now that the firmware has been made mandatory, the number of complaints on the forum seems to be rising.

Sony is currently involved in a class action lawsuit in regards to this very problem.

More:

Find in-depth gaming news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.

P.S: I was forced to install this version of the firmware on my 40 GB PS3 (a refurbished one sent to me by Sony tech support under warranty, since my original's Blu-ray drive died after a firmware update). While the firmware wasn't mandatory back then, I could not play the latest Blu-ray movies (such as Star Trek) without a firmware update to update the AACS copy protection license. So far, my PS3 has not malfunctioned, as only a small percentage of mostly older PS3s seems to suffer from the firmware update problem.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I wonder if they secretly hide some anti-piracy crap in there too like Nintendo is doing with their Wii updates?

I know the 4.2 menu update did absolutely nothing but try to remove homebrew from your system.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
      I wonder if they secretly hide some anti-piracy crap in there too like Nintendo is doing with their Wii updates?

I know the 4.2 menu update did absolutely nothing but try to remove homebrew from your system.
      4.2 was a Homebrew attack, not a Piracy attack.. if that makes any sense.
      It erased Homebrew files that were needed to run it. However, there was a fix within 24 hours to have Homebrew up and running again.

They are having a harder time with Modchips.. the Drivekey (solderless) is running strong on all firmwares. I know they are up and running imports and have working upgrade blockers and brickblockers.....

This will continue for as long as the console is their current product.
      PS2 was hacked to death. It took a new console to eliminate the modchips (for the time being). Sony has a long history of failure against the hacking/modding community. Nintendo is not fairing much better.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

I know what 4.2 does, I use Homebrew Channel and got it installed correctly.

My point there was that the update did absolutely nothing but attempt to disable homebrew - and with the PS3 updates being mandatory now I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is gonna start some kind of antipiracy/anti-homebrew/whatever stuff too.

Like the fact that you can rip completely unencrypted Blu-ray ISO files just by using Linux on the PS3... etc.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
          • Jan 2006

Ripping BluRay is a joke. They might as well left the encryption out off of them in the first place.

Trust me, Sony will not be so quiet about tackling hacking their console, they never have been.

Comment

Working...