X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Xbox 360 Now Supports Flash Drives

Xbox 360 users will now find a free update on Xbox Live that will allow their flash drives to be used in the same way as the Xbox 360 HDD. Previously, users could only read media files from flash drives, but after this update, they will be able to store game content, saves, downloadable content onto the drives, to extend the storage capacity of their Xbox 360 without having to buy an official HDD add-on. Only original Xbox games won't be supported on the flash drives.

Two flash drives, each of a maximum 16GB, can be used, thus providing an extra 32GB maximum. Most flash drives will be compatible, however, Microsoft is partnering with SanDisk to sell official Xbox 360 flash drives.

PS3 users have always been free to upgrade the PS3's built-in HDD with their own larger capacity drives, all without needing to open up the PS3 or voiding the warranty.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Koyaan
    Encoding Engineer
    • Apr 2010

It's a great idea for those who couldn't spring for a 360 Elite. I don't know what I'd do without the 120GB HD. Although right now I'm living without it completely as it just RRoD'd for the second time.

I wonder if the Flash HDDs generate less heat and therefore less RRoDs will occur?

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Hi Koyaan. Welcome to the forum.

I don't think the HDD will affect the RRoD problem, since the Xbox 360's without HDDs still suffered from RRoD, but the Flash support certainly beats paying for the overpriced Xbox 360 HDDs.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Budreaux
        • Jan 2006

Koyaan, who repaired your first RRoD?

If you did it yourself, where did you get your supplies?
        I've repaired quite a few of these and my repairs have been solid. This current one has been running 6 days straight and not a hiccup.

I'm enjoying a 620gb hard drive in mine.

Comment

• Koyaan
          Encoding Engineer
          • Apr 2010

620GB! Nice!

My original 360 was sent in a coffin back to Microsoft. Apparently it was beyond repair so I received a replacement 360. That one lasted about a year. Like my first one, I sent it back to Microsoft.

I made the decision not to mod my 360 because I'm too paranoid about losing my XBL account for a second time. I was banned back in 2004 for having a modded Xbox on XBL.

Comment

• Budreaux
            • Jan 2006

So you are under warranty then...good. I was going to offer to repair it otherwise......

I don't even play console games, I just mod them. But the mods I do are not intended to be used for XBL....strickly off-line use.

Comment

Working...