X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Canada's DMCA, Some Good News, Some Not So Good

Canada's proposed new copyright laws, dubbed the Canadian DMCA, has been unveiled and if passed, could mean a lot of changes, some good, some not so good.

Starting with the good bits. Time-shifting is finally officially legal, meaning people have the right to record programs for later viewing, but must delete it after an appropriate amount of time. Format shifting is also legal, which means that CD ripping is definitely not against Canadian law. Backups are legal too, but like the US DMCA, it is only legal if you do not break the DRM, no matter how flimsy the implementation is.

Fair use is also on the cards, with "research, private study, education, parody, or satire" all exempt. Mash-ups are also allowed as long as it's a non commercial production, and does not affect the original work financially.

ISPs get a boost compared to the US model, since they are only liable to pass on any infringement notices to the end user, with no expectation of blocking content or booting users - so any copyright dispute is strictly between the rights holder and the alleged infringer, the ISP is kept out of the legal fight.

P2P also gets a mention, and anyone providing services that can be primarily used for sharing copyrighted content illegally is committing copyright infringement.

Overall, the laws are less harsh than the US DMCA, but not allowing users to break DRM, even for backup or format shifting, means a win for copyright holders, against fair use for consumers.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dirio49
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2005

Who write these laws???
    Morons ?
    how can you copy a dvd/blue ray and not break the drm?
    i find it very funny, you can backup your dvds but without breaking the protection.

well, to some extent it work for bd, because if you copy without decryption, you can play it on a HTPC by using appropriate software.
    not sure if the same can be said about dvds.

later
    Birthdays are good. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest .

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Well, the law, if it passes, would make backing up DVDs and Blu-ray movies illegal. It will only be legal to create backups of digital content that did not have DRM, like CDs. A proper fair use exemption would see personal backups, regardless of DRM, be made perfectly legal. It would only be illegal if you decided to share the backup with others, or try to profit from them. I don't see how this little change would increase or decrease piracy, but having the DRM provision means that content owners have control over how we use the products that we have purchased, and really, control for content owners is what these laws are all about, not about piracy (because piracy has always been illegal, but it still exists and will exist regardless of the new laws).

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

The IFPI, the RIAA's International wing, says the Canadian DMCA "As it is, it simply does not go far enough to protect creators and producers in the digital environment."

New York, NY (Top40 Charts/ IFPI) - IFPI, the organisation that represents the recording industry worldwide, today reacted to the publication of the draft Canadian Copyright Amendment Bill. John Kennedy, chairman and chief executive of IFPI, says: I...

If they don't like it, then it must not be the worst thing in the world. Getting rid of the "no breaking DRM" provision, and it would be perfectly acceptable.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

The Dead sure made a lot of money, even though they allowed people to record all their concerts. How can the be according to the way the RIAA thinks the DEAD should have been loosing lots of money. In this case that is not what happened. So the RIAA needs to rethink their train of thought.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...