X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

US Copyright Group prepare to sue those that didn't pay up

The US Copyright group is moving onto step 2 of their litigation process, and has recruited smaller law firms around the United States to press on with their plan to sue users suspected of downloading movies such as Far Cry and The Hurt Locker.

It seems the USCG wasn't bluffing when they sent notices to people asking them to pay the pre-trial settlement fee or risk being sued. The people that didn't pay up may now receive further notices with the USCG's intention to sue.

In the history of this kind of mass litigation, it has been rare, but not unheard of, for law firms to proceed with lawsuits to go after those that haven't paid. The main reason is due to the increased cost of going to court, and there is always the chance that an unfavorable ruling might jeopardize USCG's position when it comes to filing new lawsuits in the future.

More:

Despite the fact that there are still some serious legal questions about the methods of US Copyright Group (really, DC-based law firm Dunlap, Grubb and Weaver), the firm is apparently about to file…
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

For those holding out on the hope that the USCG would get tired of the case of subscriber information in relation to The Hurt Locker piracy, the news isn't good, as the US Copyright Group, or otherwise known as the law firm Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver, are proceeding with subpoenas for subscriber information. They've just recently sent one to Qwest, and Qwest informed the subscriber in question of the attempt to retrieve personal information. The user was asked for $2,900 to settle the case.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

Damm Crooks do anything to get the money in the pockets at any cost. I have been moving around a lot and use different ISP'S so I think I am safe.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Budreaux
        • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
        Damm Crooks do anything to get the money in the pockets at any cost. I have been moving around a lot and use different ISP'S so I think I am safe.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

Also moving as in physical location too, among other things. Have to play the cat and mouse game.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎