X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Sony: 1TB Blu-ray disc coming soon

Forget BDXL's 128GB capacity, if Sony had its way, there would be 1TB Blu-ray discs in the near future.

Using a new laser that is much more powerful than current lasers, the new disc format could see capacity increased by 20 times.

The exact press release reads as follows, for those that can understand the technical stuff contained within:

“This latest successful development is an all-semiconductor laser picosecond pulse source with a laser wavelength of 405 nanometers (1 nm = one-billionth of a meter) in the blue-violet region. It is capable of generating optical pulses in the ultrafast duration of 3 picoseconds (1 picosecond = one-trillionth of a second), with ultrahigh output peak power of 100 watts and repetition frequency of 1 gigahertz. Advanced control of the newly-developed and proprietarily-constructed GaN-based mode-locked semiconductor laser and semiconductor optical amplifier have enabled peak output power in excess of 100 watts to be achieved, which is more than a hundred times the world’s highest output value for conventional blue-violet pulse semiconductor lasers.”
    A 1TB disc could yet save optical disc formats from extinction in the face of solid state storage and ever decreasing hard drive prices, although it will mean yet another upgrade to another disc format.

More:

Examiner has transformed into a major player in financial news. Think stocks, crypto, banks - if it's about money, it's on Examiner.com.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Where is all this going exactly? I mean so they'll come out w/a 1TB disc. You think many will actually use this for video storage over a HDD/SSD? Right now the regular Blu-ray Blanks are really not all that according to a few guys I talked w/about them.

Until they straighten out the ones now I won't even bother w/any others. Unless someone else like Sony comes out w/a better quality format.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

I wonder how many days it will take to burn a 1TB disc.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Now this I never thought of. If it's at the current speed of the Blu-ray blanks now, the quality and storage capacity isn't that much of an incentive to go get them imo.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by cynthia
          I wonder how many days it will take to burn a 1TB disc.
          Will finish just before the next, 10TB format, comes out probably
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Really crazy!

Originally Posted by admin
            Will finish just before the next, 10TB format, comes out probably
            I'm lmao w/this one! It's not getting outta control w/all these updates/upgrades it is outta control. The large storage discs really don't appeal to me.

All I/anyone needs now is for Sony to announce a new PS4 or something... Apple's already working on something new for the i4. GS I think coming.

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

Comment

Working...