Apple TV Reach for the Clouds - No more downloads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Apple TV Reach for the Clouds - No more downloads?

Apple's Apple TV update aims to shift how we watch, and "own" movies. Buying it out, renting is in, according to Steve Jobs, and it will all be done in the "cloud".

The new rental only system, where movies and TV shows (and music) are hosted in the cloud and accessed by users whenever they need it, will solve the age old problem of how to manage an ever growing video collection, Steve Jobs says.

"[Consumers] don't want to manage storage. When you buy a bunch of movies and TV shows, you have to manage them because you don't want to throw them away — you just bought them," Steve Jobs said as he introduced the new Apple TV. "And so you have storage-management problems."

The presentation also promise content to be all available in HD (when available).

So will consumers accept this new compromise? Well, they seem perfectly happy with rental services like Netflix, although those without a fast Internet connection and plenty of bandwidth, and those that actually want to buy movies and TV shows (and music), may not like the new Apple TV as much as Steve Jobs will hope.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

1st of all Steve will only have Apple Lovers behind this and anything else he throws out, so even if some were interested I don't think it would be that much of a success. I'm not into anything Apple so this I care less about.

I did several months back think it better to have all my movie collection on HDDs, though now see that isn't really a better permanent backup to storage etc... than a very good physical disc. Too many factors here to deal with and speed, bandwidth are just the beginning. That cloud would really have to be high in the sky which would lead to even more traffic etc... I have no clue what the future of a Digital Library is going to be like, but it still has too many kinks now to be a really viable alternative/replacement.

This all will eventually determine the survival of the physical disc period. Piracy or no piracy has no voice here.

So all the studios will eventually abandon the DVD and Blu-ray discs for online services of their own? I don't think so.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...