X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Kinect "hacked", but Microsoft Happy

Microsoft's Kinect camera motion gaming system has been "hacked" only a week after release, but Microsoft are not only not complaining, they have actually expressed excitement at the development.

This is because Microsoft do not consider what has happened to be hacking, despite earlier statements indicating otherwise.

The "hacking" resulted in the release of open source drivers for the Kinect device, which then allows users to use the motion system on other devices, including computers. The driver allows the motion signals interpreted by the camera to be accessed, allowing for the development of Kinect supporting PC software.

But Microsoft say that the ease in which Kinect was "hacked" was by design, since they did not put any effort to protect the USB bus, even going as far as saying they were hoping people would develop something similar and make Kinect do more than what it was designed to do. This is certainly nothing new in the motion gaming arena, as third party drivers were also developed for the Wii remote to allow it to work on PCs.

Microsoft went on to explain that their definition of "hacking" involves getting and using the actual software algorithm in Kinect or deploying some kind of cheating device.

In any case, users have been quick to take advantage of Kinect's PC connections, and there have already been some impressive tech demos on just what could be possible (see videos below).

More:

It looks like Microsoft has finally realized the potential that Kinect hacking has for the device's popularity. After initially talking up the numerous safeguards it had taken...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

A very wacky hack:

Kinect Titty Tracker from Dan Wilcox on Vimeo.

And a really cool one:

DepthJS from Fluid Interfaces on Vimeo.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Kinect Predator:

Kinect Mario Bros.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

I'm a bit confused here. Does Kinect use normal USB? Or did someone make an adaptor?

I have the new Xbox 360 "slim" model, and it has a different shaped plug which is supposed to be for Kinect. But if these guys are using it on a computer... how did they plug it in? I'm just curious because one of my friends has the original design Xbox 360 with only USB ports and was interested in getting Kinect, but I wasn't sure what to tell them.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
          • Jan 2006

Newer boxes with the new USB port is for the Kinect to be connected with just one cable. The older 360s will require the Kinect to use two cables...one USB and one power cord...the newer boxes do it all with the new port.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

OK, so Kinect can still be used on the older models?
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
              • Jan 2006

Yes...The new 360s will ahve the Kinect port that handles both data and power while the older boxes, like your friends, will use one of the usb ports and then you will have to plug the kinect to an external power source..all cables supplied.

Here's some updated info on the "open usb port", which MS says was intentional.

Last edited by Budreaux; 7 Dec 2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Also interesting to note that the Kinect standalone package includes a power supply, whereas the Kinect bundled with Slims do not include this power supply, which has to be purchased separately from Microsoft if you want to use the bundled Kinect on an old Xbox 360 (which unlike the new Slims, lacks the new proprietary connector that handles both data and power in one cable).

So if you got Kinect as part of a new console bundle, and you want to use it on the PC, you probably need to buy that power supply from Microsoft, since I don't think it can be powered via USB.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

So the power supply unit is what converts the ending to normal USB?

Also, Microsoft should call that plug size the Kinector
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

I think with the console bundle, you get one cable using a special proprietary connector (or kinector ) that plugs into the 360 Slim, and that's the only cable you need. With the standalone, you get a power supply (basically what's shown on that Microsoft store link I posted above) that plus into the power socket, and connected to this power supply is also a USB cable for connecting to the back of the (old school) Xbox 360. There's also a wifi-extender USB cable thing that allows you to use both the Kinect and the wi-fi extender add-on at the same time.

My Kinect standalone just arrived today, and I've already had a play with it. It's very good, but I need make more space for it.

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

I think with the console bundle, you get one cable using a special proprietary connector (or kinector ) that plugs into the 360 Slim, and that's the only cable you need. With the standalone, you get a power supply (basically what's shown on that Microsoft store link I posted above) that plus into the power socket, and connected to this power supply is also a USB cable for connecting to the back of the (old school) Xbox 360. There's also a wifi-extender USB cable thing that allows you to use both the Kinect and the wi-fi extender add-on at the same time.

My Kinect standalone just arrived today, and I've already had a play with it. It's very good, but I need make more space for it.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

I might get one when the price goes down sometime next year, but the games out for it look average at best to me, and I already have a Wii, no need to add even more on top of my TV (since I've got the sensor bar). Plus, I'm lazy, I'd rather just sit on my couch and not have to move around to play my games
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...