X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Legal Setback For Sony In PS3 Jailbreak Case: Subpoenas Denied

Sony's attempt to get YouTube, Twitter and other companies to hand over information on the members of security research group fail0verflow and PS3 hacker George Hotz has been denied.

According to court documents first reported by a poster on the PSX-Scene forum, Judge Susan Illston has denied Sony's request to send out subpoenas to flush out more information regarding the crew of fail0verflow, George Hotz (aka geohot), and any other persons or organisations working on hacking the PS3 security system.

The subpoenas were extremely controversial in that Sony had requested information on anyone even remotely related to the case in question, including people who simply re-tweeted the news of the hack or watched the hacking video on YouTube (the same video that this website also linked to). So it is no surprise that the judge has denied them, although confirmation of the denial or even if the posted court documents are real, is still missing at the moment.

A temporary restraining order was granted against George Hotz last month, a hearing on this matter to take place Thursday to determine the scope of the TRO, and whether Hotz's computer could be examined by Sony. Hotz claims that his work was never intended to allow piracy on the PS3, only to allow homebrew. "I made a specific effort while I was working on this to try to enable homebrew without enabling things I do not support, like piracy," stated Hotz.

The next hearing on this matter will be held on March 11, 2011.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

It seems the setback was just a temporary one, as the judge how now granted an extremely broad subpoenas that grants Sony access to a whole range of things, including:

* IP address of anyone who has visited geohot's website since 2009
    * Identities of anyone who had anything to do with geohot's videos on YouTube, even if they only viewed the video, liked it or commented on it
    * Identities of anyone who had anything to do with geohot's twitter postings, including names, addresses, telephone numbers ...

It's basically a witchhunt for anyone daring to stand up against Sony, and Sony has threatened to sue anyone that posts the PS3 hacking tool or the encryption keys.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Digitalboy
      Hello
      • Feb 2011

I think they are annoyed cause they were selling the ps3 at a loss.

Comment

Working...