X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Music Piracy Decreases Dramatically After LimeWire Shutdown

Research group NPD has new stats that show online music piracy dropping dramatically after P2P music sharing website, LimeWire, was forced to close due to a lawsuit launched by major music labels.

In what appears to be a significant victory for the music industry, the number of people downloading pirated music online in Q4 2010 has dropped by more than 12 million users compared to the same period in 2007. Similarly, the number of tracks downloaded per person has dropped from 35 in 2007 to 18 in 2010.

While the closure of the most popular P2P music sharing service, LimeWire, definitely affected online piracy (LimeWire usage dropped, as a percentage of all download methods, from 56% in Q3 to 32% in Q4), it is conceivable that some of the decreases since 2007 may in fact be due to legal services such as iTunes, and also free listening services such as Spotify.

But the LimeWire effect, if there is any, may be short lived, as NPD stats also show a rise in the use of other downloading tools and methods, such as Frostwire and BitTorrent clients.

There's also no word from the RIAA in regards to actual revenue in the last quarter of 2010, whether revenue rose as a result of a lower number of pirated downloads.

Links:

Today we have some good news for the major record labels. The renowned market research group NPD has found that close to half of all Americans who were pirating music via P2P applications a year ago, have reportedly stopped doing so. As a result the number of US music pirates decreased by 12 million. NPD attributes this unprecedented shift to the LimeWire shutdown, but we fear that it wont have any effect on record label revenues.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

LOL, FrostWire is the same exact thing as LimeWire - well rather, they're both just programs that connect to the Gnutella p2p network.

I actually find this hard to believe - LimeWire seems so 2000 compared to most other piracy methods, especially because Gnutella now has like 95% of its content as either fake, viruses, or other crap content. I used to know lots of people who used LimeWire but in the past few years it hasn't even been thought of.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡