X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

DRM Locks Out Legitimate Gamers For 4 Days, Pirates Play Happily

While some game makers are trying out new DRM that only targets the pirates, it's still very much the norm these days to find DRM that does more to hurt legitimate buyers than actual pirates. EA and Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins is the latest example.

When EA/Bioware's DRM authentication servers went down over the last weekend, legitimate buyers of the offline, single player game found that they would not have their usual DA:O weekend session. When they tried to play the game that they have already paid for, they were met with an "unauthorized" error message.

Ironically, the pirated version of the game, which had the DRM stripped out, worked fine, allowing pirates to enjoy the game, while buyers of the game were locked out.

And so, DRM once again does what it does best - hurt legitimate customers and give people more reason to get the pirated, cracked version, even if they had already paid for the game.

In the end, it took 4 days for EA/Bioware to fix the DRM authentication server and allow paying customers to play the game again.

So why then, does companies like EA think that piracy actually helps to reduce piracy, and not encourage it?

Links:

(Story Source)
    Last edited by admin; 14 Apr 2011, 11:30 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Just one word to say here: OWNED.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...