X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

U.S. Memorial Day Weekend 3D Ticket Sales Disappointing

Analysts last week said that 3D was on the wane, and if the U.S. Memorial Day weekend box office results are any indication, they may be right.

Despite a record breaking weekend, 3D attendance and box office was extremely disappointing. Of the $208m in record business done over the weekend (so much for web piracy destroying the movie industry, then), only 36% of all attendees chose the 3D version of Kung Fu Panda 2. As 3D prices are higher, and that's actually one of the reasons why 3D may be one the wane according to analysts, a higher percentage of the animated sequel's box office was for the 3D presentation, at 45%.

You would have to go back to a year ago, back in July 2010 for the movie Despicable Me, to find a lower 3D result.

More than half of the $208m was for a movie that was not even available in 3D. The Hangover Part II took $137.4m at the box office, and there was not a 3D goggle in sight.

Other movies, such as Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Thor, all underperformed in 3D, while performing about expectations in 2D.

But other analysts are not so sure that a couple of bad results necessarily means the end of the 3D craze. Ralph Schackart of William Blair & Co feels that Panda 2's low marketing budget was more to blame for lacklustre 3D ticket sales than anything else, while Eric Wold of Merriman Capital believes that, in the longer trend, 3D is still a viable format.

(Story Source)
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

I just saw X-Men First Class and it was months after my last outing to the movie theatres. Yes it's the 3D mainly and also not too many good flics really worth dropping $13.50 lately. Mostly anything they can stamp 3D on is being put out ahead of the 2D version, so I definitely agree with the polls.

"First Class" was great btw and a must have if you're following and like the whole X-men series. Magnito's the man!
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎