X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Google Removes Emulator Apps From Android Market

Google has removed all the emulator apps from Yong Zhang, a third-party Android developer, including the controversial SNESoid app.

Just recently, Google also removed a PlayStation emulator developed by ZodTTD, which many have linked the move to the release of Sony's gaming oriented Android phone, the Sony Ericsson's Xperia PLAY.

So these app removals may signal Google's new tough stance against emulator apps, or perhaps there are other issues at play.

Yong Zhang's SNESoid app earned the "controversial" tag due to licensing issues, when it was revealed that the app may have used open source code against licensing terms. SNESoid is based on snes9x. The source code for snes9x was published online, but under a license that does not allow commercial use, as in the case for SNESoid. There is an official, free, port of snes9x for Android that still remains on the Market, so it further points to a licensing issue, as opposed to a general Google ban on emulator, being in play here.

But unlike iOS, where iTunes rule the app space, there are many competing market places for Android, and it appears Yong Zhang has moved all the emulator apps to SlideME, and as a bonus, all of the emulator apps, except for the N64oid, are free to download for the next two weeks from here.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Darn, he made a N64oid? I should have downloaded that before it disappeared. I bought all the other ones.

This really bugs me, since the whole reason I got an Android phone was the fact that Google wasn't being Big Brother about apps like Apple is. But given all the stuff they've removed recently...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

N64oid is still available on SlideME for 30 cents:

Edit: It's now free as well
      Last edited by admin; 3 Jun 2011, 09:32 PM.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Ok so I consider myself educated, though not so much in every area. Emulator apps. emulate something else that's been out, or it's some control game or something? Like an airfighter game or car racing etc... you can play on your cell?
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎