X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

New Firefox Add-on Bypasses Google Anti-Piracy Filters

The same people behind the MAFIAA Fire Redirector add-on, which bypasses the domain seizures made by US law enforcement agencies, has just released a new add-on that bypasses the anti-piracy self-censorship Google introduced.

Back in January, Google removed "piracy related keywords" from their auto-suggest and auto-complete features, which is deployed in their "Instant" search service, in a bid to placate content holders (which subsequently failed).

Following the success of MAFIAA Fire Redirector, the group behind the add-on, MAFIAA Fire, has just released a new add-on that hopes to reverse Google's censorship attempt. The add-on is called "Gee! No evil!", a play on Google's famous slogan of "Do No Evil", and it adds back the removed keywords such as "torrent" and "rapidshare".

Speaking to TorrentFreak, a MAFIAA Fire spokesman outlined the group's aims with this new add-on. "Censoring common words like “torrent” to help an outdated business model is not the right approach… and where does it stop? Who decides what goes on this slippery slope?"

Mozilla, the company that maintains Firefox and its add-ons, has already resisted government attempts to have the "MAFIAA Fire Redirector" add-on banned, and Google will most likely face similar resistance if they try to get "Gee! No evil!" removed.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

I think not only Google but Bing as well is using Anti-Piracy Filters because i can't even get into AfterDawn some times to check up on the blank media thread and anything else totally unrelated to Piracy. I might just have to install FF again like when I 1st started for certain innocent searches. Shame really when you think about it!
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

If you click the search result and it doesn't load the Afterdawn website, did you try to go to the site if by typing in the URL? I think that's probably just Afterdawn's servers being down (or your connection to it being down - I noticed AD's site not loading yesterday or the day before as well, but it was only temporary), nothing to do with Bing.

Google's anti-piracy filter is only for auto-suggest and auto-complete, like if you type in "bitt", Google used to show you "BitTorrent" as one of the recommended search terms, but they have removed that. There are no other anti-piracy features other than these at Google (for now).

Bing remains unfiltered I think, at least for terms like "BitTorrent", "The Pirate Bay".
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Thanks for the heads up on AD. Yes it was those 2 days you mentioned. I thought it had something to do w/Google's Anti-piracy filter. It would of been odd, though not surprising, if they tried to remove access to AD or any site for that matter. Yes, I did try the URL etc... and so thought it was Google, though every other site I went to had no problem. I also started to think that maybe because of the time difference the server's were down on purpose. It sounds too crazy, though again not out of the question. I'm not a developer so I have no idea who/what runs the servers for anything if at all. If it's a computer then time should not be a factor and only a breakdown of sorts is the cuklprit.

Funny as conservative as Uncle Bill is he remains neutral to many things and even will take it to court as well. Gotta give UB his props no matter what.
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎