Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

isoHunt Settles Final Lawsuit, Owes Canadian Music Group $66 Million in Damages

isoHunt's founder Gary Fung has finally been able to close the final chapter of this adventures with the torrent site that was once upon a time one of the biggest around, with Fung announcing the settlement of his final lawsuit involving the site.

Having previously settled a lawsuit brought forward by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), for a staggering $110 million, this week, Fung settled the last remaining lawsuit with the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA) for $66 million.

"And I want to congratulate both Hollywood and CRIA on their victories, in letting me off with fines of $110m and $66m, respectively. Thank you!" Fung sarcastically noted on his Medium account, which also features a GIF of an iconic scene in the movie The Shawshank Redemption that goes well with the article's headline of "free at last".

Like with the previous settlement agreement with the MPAA, Fung is now prohibited from creating or operating a file sharing site (not that he has any intentions to do so), but with the company behind isoHunt now declared bankrupt, it's unlikely the MPAA or the CRIA will recoup any of the declared damages.

The legal actions against isoHunt started way back in 2008, ironically by the CRIA. The proceedings has taken so long that the CRIA has already renamed itself Music Canada in the meantime.

But worryingly for Hollywood and the music industry, a clone of isoHunt (that Fung has no association with whatsoever) is still operating and is still one of the biggest file sharing websites around.

[via TorrentFreak]
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
Working...