X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Protecting a WMA

I know I posted this a while back but no one responded. How can I make a WMA file so that you cannot burn it but can transfer to devices? I know that Wal-Mart downloads are like this, but you can burn them 10 times. I just am curious because that is the safest way to use music files on my website, so that they cannot be converted to MP3s by any normal method. (At least I think).
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • Floppy

I am not entirely sure it can work but a DRM program would do the job.

Try here mate...

www.synccast.com

Comment

• nullstuff
      binary member
      • Oct 2005

...anyway people can "copy" your WMAs to MP3s just using TotalRecorder --- http://www.highcriteria.com/

-- nullstuff
      "there's a crack; a crack in everything: it's how the light gets in." - l/cohen

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Yeah, that is like OpD2d which I have on my website, since the main site went offline for unknown reasons. But, trying to convert that way you lose tons of quality, so it is a little safer.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Floppy

well protectig content that you have users stream does indeed allow certain software to copy it but if a license is 'injected' to the software regarding that content that specifies what type of action is allowed is a totally diferent kettle of fish...

I am sure that regardless you will find that what is done can be undone and if you really serious about that type of thing then you got to restructure the way things are presented and viewed/heard on your site...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Hmmm. But it keeps newbies from converting the files. The only way I know of to remove DRM is to burn to a CD and then rip as MP3, but if they are not allowed to burn, well...
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

you can't burn/encode DRM stuff, the level of protection is much too advanced. IIRC somebody did crack drm once, but he had some major problems with the law after that
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• jeo
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Feb 2004

if the newby go to your homepage and knows total recorder...

"Total Recorder is a powerful, yet simple audio recording solution. Total Recorder records streaming audio directly from systems like Real Player, Windows Media Player, QuickTime and WinAmp. It can also record from cassette tapes, LPs, DVDs, CDs or through a microphone connected to your PC. The resulting recordings may be saved as wav, wma, mp3, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC audio files. The recordings may then be copied to a CD using a standard CD burner and associated software."

no way to protect your files.

regards
                still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

in a way, that's true, jeo , but anything at all can be copied that way. you could get a camcorder and record a dvd playing on your tv set , and i'm thinking there would be quality loss after passing through the mic

also every track has to be played to actually copy the file, and i'm wondering whether wma's with drm (which requires licenses via an internet connection, every single time it is played) can be opened/played in such a program, i think microsoft has thought of that, but i woudn't know for sure, i don't come near wma files very often

@drfsupercenter: if somebody is trying to copy any of your music, you should be flattered they like it so much! (unless ofcourse you're a multiplatinum artist, in disguise and could be losing millions in unauthorised copying )
                  Last edited by anonymez; 18 Nov 2005, 01:44 PM.
                  "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• jeo
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Feb 2004

...but anything at all can be copied that way. you could get a camcorder and record a dvd playing on your tv set ..

..requires licenses via an internet connection, every single time it is played..
                    i don't knew.

@drfsupercenter: if somebody is trying to copy any of your music, you should be flattered they like it so much! (unless ofcourse you're a multiplatinum artist, in disguise and could be losing millions in unauthorised copying

still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan

Comment

Working...