X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

New computer - P4 v AMD

I may be upgrading my computer soon early next year. Is there a preference of a P4 over a AMD chip (Athlon 64 probably) or the other way round?

DVD Shrink and DVD Encoding using DVD-Rebuilder will be very important.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

what's your budget?

amd64 is pretty much the choice

anony's amd64 dual core 3800, altho pricey is
    a P4 killer. LT is that homicide?

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by Chewy
      what's your budget?

amd64 is pretty much the choice

anony's amd64 dual core 3800, altho pricey is
      a P4 killer. LT is that homicide?

I don't know yet. I only just decided as my current computer is playing up.

There is a supermarket I use which sometimes have deals on Targa models (German make). The last one was £499.99 for this model. I wouldn't want to go over that really.

I do like AMD. My current one is a Athlon XP 2000 and I have had a AMD DX4 in the past.

(4000 posts finally)
      Last edited by nwg; 14 Dec 2005, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by nwg
        (4000 posts finally)
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

this is what i like about my a64:

- less power consumption than p4 (in particular when using cool&quiet)
          - very good value for money
          - decent speed with encoders despite the fact that the a64's core frequency is lower than that of a p4
          - good overclocking capabilities especially with venice cores and thus even better value for money

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by UncasMS
            this is what i like about my a64:

- less power consumption than p4 (in particular when using cool&quiet)
            - very good value for money
            - decent speed with encoders despite the fact that the a64's core frequency is lower than that of a p4
            - good overclocking capabilities especially with venice cores and thus even better value for money
            Thanks.

I think Intels have always been too much money (except for Celerons).

A Athlon 64 3500 is around £150. A P4 3.6 is nearly £300

I don't get into overclocking.

Thanks Blu.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

another vote for athlon64, for all the reasons uncas gave. get a dual-core if you change your mind and are willing to spend more

if you're interested in switching to xp x64, you'll want to check all hardware has 64-bit drivers (also check existing hardware)...

amd64 dual core 3800, altho pricey is
              a P4 killer LT is that homicide?
              it was brutal! i saw the whole thing

ps congrats on the 4000 nwg!
              Last edited by anonymez; 14 Dec 2005, 04:06 PM.
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

iv upgraded frm my AThlonXP 2500 to P4 3.0 due to realtime encoding needs , though big difference b/w clock speed my athlon had better responce time within WindowsXP.
                also working on my friends Athlon64 few months back, I almost hated my P4 due to same reason, very responsive, everything starts in a click.

This no means i dont like my current system, but i may be going back to AMD in near future.
                Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

When I tested the barton 3200 vs the P4 3200HT, the P4 easily won in shrink
                  transcodes, then we built an AMD64 3500/939 pre-venice, the amd64 won out
                  easily, when I overclocked a venice 140$ 3000 and it blew the 3500 away
                  and only hit 40-42C under load, I knew the immediate future was all AMD.
                  Then that durn anony gets a dual core and we find out shrink is multithreaded. That set the nails in the coffin.
                  Rumors of new secret intel cpu?
                  Last edited by Chewy; 15 Dec 2005, 05:05 AM.

Comment

• nwg
                    Left *****
                    • Jun 2003

I will be upgrading from a Athlon XP 2000 so it shoud be quite a upgrade.

A AMD64 3500 is very tempting.

A bit off topic. What about PCI Express? Is that worth bothering with and how much better is it over AGP?

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

you will hardly get any decent mainboard W/OUT pci-e

the pci-e is the faster vga but that wouldnt be of any importance unless you like a bit of gaming every once in a while

for video-encoding apg is still good enough but pci-e is the future and agp is out-of-date

so get a good and reliable board and go pci-e

Comment

• nwg
                        Left *****
                        • Jun 2003

I am not into many games anymore. I am getting too old now and just not bothered.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

if you're not gonna overclock and don't have to have firewire or 4 serial hard drives, this is quite adequate and a top performer.

Comment

• nwg
                            Left *****
                            • Jun 2003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131541

if you're not gonna overclock and don't have to have firewire or 4 serial hard drives, this is quite adequate and a top performer.
                            Nice board but I will need firewire. Otherwise, a USB 2.0//Firewire card will be needed.

I want as many USB 2.0 as I can (at least four). Six would be good or four 2.0 and two 1.1 for mice/keyboard.

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

i'm more than happy with my asus a8n-sli

dont know what the SE is in this new version, but here are some details:

Comment

Working...