Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knownote
    • Aug 2005

Some weird problems with a new computer

Had a custom built computer made. windows xp of course.
    Worked fine for a few days, and actually it still works fine when it's on, but there's some weird 'you know what' going on.

First off, it won't shut down! I choose "shut down computer" and it restarts every time! The 'standby' choice is not "clickable" for some reason, it's grayed out. But both "shut down computer" and "restart" just restart the computer! Have to unplug it to shut it down which is NOT good.

And also, when it restarts it will get to the blue "welcome" screen and just sit there forever not working. Then if I press "ctrl alt delete" windows will load instantly and everything will function fine.

One more problem, if it doesn't just sit there on the blue welcome screen, it will give me a warning that says I "have no paging file or the paging file is too small". I'll go in and fix what it says is wrong, but then I'll get that message again next restart.

Is this stuff weird or what? The place I got it will fix it no charge, but it's over an hour away from me, so if anyone can tell me what to do to save me a drive, please enlighten me, 'cause I'm lost.
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Thought about re-loading Window$?

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• knownote
      • Aug 2005

Yea, I thought about it, but i'd love to save the hassle of re-loading the programs I installed. I don't have a lot on it yet, but if someone had any ideas I could give them try knowing if it didn't work I could re-load windows as a last resort. I'd kinda just like to know what's causing this, I'm trying to learn my way around the computer more, and if I re-load windows I don't learn nuthin'....

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

i'm no expert by any means but it could be a glitch in windows install i guess. i seen it happen ( to me once too). did you install windows? probably not i'd guess. but i bet it's something the shop did building it though, i wouldn't muck with anything and have them say you voided your warranty, take it back.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

First thing I would recommend is doing a "Windows Update". Second thing is kill any unnecessary programs from automatically starting up. You can do that through msconfig. Go here to see exactly how to do it (Be very careful though on what you disable!) - http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=56373

Comment

• techreactor
            Banned
            • Jul 2005

Check for Viruses, but looks more of an OS problem. Also if the problem started recently, try to do a system restore from a good restore point that you know of.

Comment

• benbryant
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Aug 2005

Hi knownote,

I'm afraid to tell you that the only best solution is to do a clean installation your windows again because whatever you try to fix is just a walk-around, not a good solution at all. If you have to reload the windows, please double-check that your system is set for "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" HAL

PS: Please make sure that your BIOS is up-to-date and check memory modules too (Bad memory can cause a lot of wierd startup and shutdown problem too)

Regards
              Last edited by benbryant; 14 Dec 2005, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

knownote,

download the latest drivers for all your hardware, and do a clean install of windows. update windows, at least to 'service pack 2'. update bios. this will eliminate any harware issues, and will very likely solve any problems you currently have.

as ben said, anything other than a clean install will be a work-around, NOT a true solution. there may be more serious problems you have not noticed. a clean install is definitely for the best
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

That's 3 votes for clean install. Just one question - did it always behave this way or only since you loaded some prog? If the latter, a system restore might help.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

a 2nd question, do you change any windows settings?

sounds like a windows tweak program run amuck, especially one not meant for XP.

problem with clean install, who's gonna do it?

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
                      problem with clean install, who's gonna do it?
                      i'd imagine his win xp cd

the problem sounds so severe, IMO anything but a clean install is not cool
                      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

Oh I agree, but I would consider letting the system builders do it,
                        and watch carefully. Take notes.

Comment

• knownote
                          • Aug 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions...
                          I had already done a bare minimum startup via msconfig and that didn't help.

windows was up to date, w/service pack 2.

It had to be some program I installed, since it didn't do it until a few days ago. It started about 4 days after I had been using it.

My first thought was system restore, but aaarrgh! I went to do that and it wasn't 'enabled'! System restore has always been my friend, so I was upset to see the folks that built it hadn't enabled it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Before I do the windows re-install I think I'll start removing programs I've added. Starting with the latest one and working back. Then I'll see if that does anything. Might be a bad program, or something that's not supposed to work with xp.

I have a suspicion of a soundcard driver program I installed. I had a soundcard I wanted to use but it was a little old and the drivers were not xp drivers. So I searched the net and found an updated driver from the manufacturer. Could've done it I guess.

Thanks all

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

I have a suspicion of a soundcard driver program I installed. I had a soundcard I wanted to use but it was a little old and the drivers were not xp drivers. So I searched the net and found an updated driver from the manufacturer. Could've done it I guess.

what was it?

Comment

• knownote
                              • Aug 2005

it's an old yamaha XG- seven hundred something or other. It was an early soundcard that had optical digital in's and out's. I use it for my home recording studio to maintain quality in my mixdowns. It was a frustrating sound card from the start. All the writing was in japanese with no english instructions.

Even after installing the supposed updated driver for it, the digital in's and out's were never recognized, so I'll have to get a new soundcard anyway.

Comment

Working...