Ulead Video Studio 9 & Windows Installer 3.1(v2)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Ulead Video Studio 9 & Windows Installer 3.1(v2)

I am using Ulead Video Studio 9 recently.But I find that whenever I click CAPTURE the program exits with an error message that videostudio.exe has generated error.I searched about the problem in Google & someone was having similar problem.He said this was an issue with Windows Installer 3.1.So I uninstalled Windows Installer 3.1(v2) & YES,the problem was solved.Capture was now possible.But now came another problem.Now I cannot update windows.It says that Windows Installer 3.1 is needed for installing latest Windows updates.So what is the solution?BTW,my OS is Windows 2000 Professional SP4.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

have you installed the update pack?
    Turn your life’s best moments into stunning movies with Corel VideoStudio! Get creative with drag-and-drop stylish templates, artistic filters, titles, transitions, and the whole palette of advanced editing tools. Get your FREE trial.

was autoupdate turned on with windows 2K?

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

Yes,autoupdate is enabled.I will try ur link & reply later.Thank u so much for quick response.Should I disable auto update?
      sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Update Ulead and see if that fixes it.

Comment

• paglamon
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

Installed Ulead update pack.Alas,it did not help.I had to uninstall Windows Installer 3.1 again.Now I am with Windows Installer 2.No problem with UVS now.But windows update in Win2K SP4 needs 3.1.Actually version 3.1 comes with SP4.So whenever I uninstall 3.1,there is a mismatch & update error.I think I will have to go on installing 3.1 before an update & uninstalling it after the update is complete.
          sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

paglamon,
            Leave windows auto update off, I had hoped that the Ulead update would
            fix the conflict. For my own personal use I never trust any autoupdates.
            Be the first to screw your computer up. I just do them every so often.
            Really don't like anything running in the background.

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

I have turned Auto Update off.I now have Windows Installer 2.Everything is fine for the moment.But,when I visit MS update site for MANUAL UPDATE,it asks me to first install Windows Installer 3.1.So,without it I cannot update even manually.Don't I need those updates,especially the Security ones?I am surprised that neither Ulead nor MS approach this issue.And I learn from others that this problem is only wth UVS version 9 & MSI 3.1.Well, I guess we HAVE to accept an imperfect world.
              sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

Do a manual update and don't turn auto on, and retest Ulead and see if
                it's fixed.

Comment

• paglamon
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

Do a manual update and don't turn auto on
                  CHEWY, Please read my earlier post.I CANNOT manually update without Windows Installer 3.1.As soon as i install 3.1,problems start in Ulead.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by paglamon
                    Installed Ulead update pack.Alas,it did not help.I had to uninstall Windows Installer 3.1 again.Now I am with Windows Installer 2.No problem with UVS now.But windows update in Win2K SP4 needs 3.1.Actually version 3.1 comes with SP4.So whenever I uninstall 3.1,there is a mismatch & update error.I think I will have to go on installing 3.1 before an update & uninstalling it after the update is complete.
                    this didn't make a whole lot of sense, you upgraded ulead and then installed 3.1 and ulead gave you problems and had autoupdate off?

Comment

• oldhack
                      • Nov 2005

updates

Originally Posted by paglamon
                      I have turned Auto Update off.I now have Windows Installer 2.Everything is fine for the moment.But,when I visit MS update site for MANUAL UPDATE,it asks me to first install Windows Installer 3.1.So,without it I cannot update even manually.Don't I need those updates,especially the Security ones?I am surprised that neither Ulead nor MS approach this issue.And I learn from others that this problem is only wth UVS version 9 & MSI 3.1.Well, I guess we HAVE to accept an imperfect world.
                      you dont need all those security updates if you have a good antivirus and firewall. the best and uses the least amount of footprint is "NOD32" since i started using this, i havent had any problems with security issues. I also run xoftspy to get rid of some of the smaller things nod32 doesnt catch. and i use giant antispyware which catches a lot of trojans also. I havent crashed or been inundated with any popups/virus/trojans etc.
                      If you have good software to catch the bad stuff, then all those updates arent needed. They just use more memory and slow your machine down.
                      The spammers and virus guys just figure out how to get around the fixes and get you anyway.

as to ulead, ive found it doesnt work well with amd or a VIA chipset. I had to get the VIA 4in1 update drivers so I could use a Ulead product.

Comment

• paglamon
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Aug 2005

Thnx Oldhack.I will follow ur advice.
                        @Chewy,Windows Installer 3.1 was already there when I updated Ulead.But even after updating, the problem with Ulead remained.So I uninstalled Windows Installer 3.1.Now Ulead was fine but Windows update was not.And why doesn't this make any sense?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

simple question:
                          "you upgraded ulead and then installed 3.1 and ulead gave you problems and had autoupdate off?"

turn off auto update(system properties)

go to windows update/ choose custom, let it install 3.1

leave autoupdate off

test ulead

chewy over and out
                          Last edited by Chewy; 27 Dec 2005, 02:39 AM.

Comment

• paglamon
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2005

I did as u said . But as soon as I install 3.1, ulead reverts to its problemmatic behaviour.Sorry ,if u find this annoying.In fact it is annoying me no less.
                            Last edited by paglamon; 27 Dec 2005, 02:49 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

No the way I had figured this, was windows update running in the background as a service with 3.1 was causing the conflict with ulead. By stopping that service I had hoped to remedy the problem. Nowhere have you confirmed
                              that you had turned off autoupdate and verified such.
                              As the problem seems specific to Ulead, I would consider finding other
                              software.

Comment

Working...