Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • splean
    • Jan 2006

Partitioning my hard drive?

I dont have enough posts to post in the "off topic" board so.. Ok. I've got a 120GB western digital hard drive. A while back when I first got this computer a buddy of mine split my HD to 100GB[c:] and 20GB[d:] I use my d: drive for music, and it's about 1GB away from being full. Is there anyway I can add onto it without reformating? Letme know..

Peace
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Did it come with that Data Lifeguard CD? That might do it for you... used it on my WD hard drive just fine... but did not partition it, it is just one big drive.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• benbryant
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Aug 2005

Hi splean,

If you like to resize your partitions without reformat your HDD, I would like to recommend to use Partition Magic by Symantec

Read more from here:

Regards

Comment

• splean
        • Jan 2006

^ Im trying to figure this out.. but I cant get it to work. I deleted my D: drive and now I have 15 unallocated gig's. I go to make another driver and I put in that I want 40 gig's but it just makes another 15 gig one. Im lost.

Comment

• benbryant
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Aug 2005

Hello again splean,

By using Partition Magic, initiallly you didn't have to delete drive D, just resize C drive and add the extra to D drive. Anyway there is no problem at all. Here is what you should do:

- Do the backup of your important files, better do a extra step than feel regret later

- Right-click Partition C and select Resize/Move....When the Resize/Move Partition - C: dialog opens, look at the New Size which is the total MB of your C drive (about 100 GB in your case). To reduce your C drive's partition size, place your mouse cursor at the end (right side) of the table and when the cursor change into the two-way arrow, click and drag toward the left and look at the New Size setting. You will see its size reduced. You can enter the number of GB manuall at the New Size setting box. I usually keep roughly about 40 GB for C drive because if you keep it too large, it'll take longer time to do the defragment anyway. Press OK when done

- Next, right-click on the Extended partition and select Resize/Move....When the Resize/Move Partition - Extended dialog opens, you can see the extra grey part on the partition table. Click the left end and drag all the way to the left to enlarge your Extended Partition to maximum allowable. Press OK when done

- So far so good, right-click your D drive and select Resiza/Move....When the Resize/Move Partition - D dialog opens, you can see the extra grey part on the partition table. Click the left end and drag all the way to the left to enlarge your D: drive to maximum allowable. Press OK when done

- Finally, press the Apply Changes button to complete.

Regards
          Last edited by benbryant; 5 Jan 2006, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by splean
            I dont have enough posts to post in the "off topic" board so..
            Nothing more On Topic here than hard drive partitioning!

a buddy of mine split my HD to 100GB[c:] and 20GB[d:]
            exactly donkey backwards

Comment

• splean
              • Jan 2006

Whatever you say Chewy

Anyways Thanks benbryant, I figured it out. I've had a bad night tho. I did what you said, but ofcourse me being the genious I am DIDNT backup my sh.it and when my computer restarted and was doing the split it froze at 68% and I had to restart my computer.. I lost everything on my PC. I was so fuc.king pissed. So my computer wouldn't start up and I had to reformat. I had about 40GB's of bittorent downloads at about 25% with slow download speeds. I had 25GB's of music.. all gone. The thing is.. most of the music is on my iPod which im now transfering using iDump It's been a bad night.
              Last edited by splean; 5 Jan 2006, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

I could have told you so! My nickname for partition magic, the guys over at MS newsgroups finally gave up on me,

PARTMAGIC

You should never mess with the F.A.T., there are only a handfull of people who can read
                and fix it.
                Last edited by Chewy; 5 Jan 2006, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• splean
                  • Jan 2006

Im on NTFS.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

excuse my old way of thinking, substitute MasterFileTable,
                    it's the card index for the hard drive whichever way you look at it.

Each file on an NTFS volume is represented by a record in a special file called the master file table (MFT).

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                      • Nov 2003

A hard lesson learned. If you care about anything on the physical hard drive DO NOT mess with the file system (FAT, NTFS, or otherwise) or partitions without first backing up important files.

Personally, I wouldn't have that drive partitioned in the first place unless there was a compelling reason to do so. So, it was already done and you were running out of space on that smaller partition. Big deal. I would have just made a new folder on C drive to store more music, then place a shortcut to the new folder inside your current D: drive music folder.

It sounds alot like you were using that D: partition as if it were a folder. Why assign a different drive letter to a portion of your drive simply to store music. Makes no sense.

Oh well. The only reason I know this is from making mistakes like you did. I lost count how many times I've turned a PC into a useless lump, but I had fun and learned in the process
                      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• atifsh
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2003

ok here u go, nothing is lost when ur not the first one to lost files and dont have time to search or dont want to as someone already done that ......its ok if i say..... been there done that

Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• atifsh
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2003

Originally Posted by splean
                          when my computer restarted and was doing the split it froze at 68% and I had to restart my computer..

probably u didnt wait enough as moving a full partition takes time.... it may seems hung but it wasnt.
                          iv done these mistakes myself quit a few times......

once when im new to computer i was formating my huge 2 gb harddisk and it was taking a while, and it was a noisy format so i hit my harddrive with screwdriver so it becomes little Quieter, and it... did it fell dead quiet.
                          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...