Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

well, this question is hard to answer as it depends on way more than one aspect

first of all it makes a big difference if it is summer/winter/hot/cold in the room
    imagine you use that pc in very hot summer temperatures i should think you better use the max rpm and live with a higher noise level but your system will have a better cooling

then on the other hand with a cooler environment you may want to run the fan at lower/lowest speed as it will hardly make much of a difference to the main temps

i like to do this:
    run a demanding game for an hour and immediately afterwards take a look at the temps via everest

next switch on/increase rotation speed of the fan(s) and run another couple of minutes of your favourite game and compare the temperatures

if you'll see only a slight difference you may ask yourself:
    can i increase the rpm some more or is it the room temperature

on my main machine i hardly see a difference when "idling" (i.e. surfing tzhe net like i do now and doing basic tasks with my pc) as it runs very cool due to cool&quiet

but when playing ut2k4 or converting via rebuilder i see a huge difference between fans On and OFF

Comment

• mill
      Im Off To See The Wizard
      • Oct 2005

I follow what your telling me but what im asking is, well i give you a example, like a fish tank should be kept at say between 70 or 75 degree's fahrenheit, so like what is a good temp to try and keep the cpu at?
      Keep Plugin away

Comment

• mill
        Im Off To See The Wizard
        • Oct 2005

This is after about 15 min. at idel.

ps- were starting to get into the same ,topic now as the cool and quiet thread sorry and thanks again.
        Attached Files
        Keep Plugin away

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

I have been following this thread with great interest & I think it is a great example of communication getting the job done, way to go. I understood some not all in all honesty. I seriously enjoyed following it thank you.

That was me being serious. Now I think I have found a good cooling system:

But I am having a hard time fitting all my components into that case. So I was thinking of using this to attach it to my existing tower:

My ? is what colour?
          Last edited by soup; 1 Apr 2007, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

@ mill

cpu temps ~35°C will be a very fine and modest value for an athlon64

but the low temperatures are not that important - it will be rather important that your cpu will not get too hot when running for hours playing demanding games or even converting videos

in my case i have hardly ever reached 50°C after hours of gaming and additional fans on

in most cases the temp was ~45°C but of course 55 or 60 wont hurt that much either but i try to keep cpu, mainboard/chipset and of course harddrives as cool as possible with a tolerable noise level

@ soup

your combo wont work
            ordinary duct tape will loosen very soon when environmental temps go below zero which should be the case with that monster of yours ^_~
            Last edited by UncasMS; 26 Feb 2006, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

Back to the drawing board.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

mill, the motherboard and hard drives shouldn't be running hotter than the cpu

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

you dont have a nf4 chewy ^_~

this chipset is running quite hot so it'll need an additional cooler blowing air in the direction of chipset/vga to make the maintemp lower than the cpu

and despite the fact that i have good harddrive cooling my drives are some 1-2°C hotter when i have turned my other two additional drives OFF

turned ON they provide an overall gain for all temps:
                  cpu, mainboard, harddrives and vga

Comment

• mill
                    Im Off To See The Wizard
                    • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by soup
                    Now I think I have found a good cooling system:

[ATTACH]4310[/ATTACH]

But I am having a hard time fitting all my components into that case. So I was thinking of using this to attach it to my existing tower:

[ATTACH]4311[/ATTACH]

My ? is what colour?
                    Thats what im talking about. lol
                    Keep Plugin away

Comment

• mill
                      Im Off To See The Wizard
                      • Oct 2005

[quote=UncasMS]@ mill

cpu temps ~35°C will be a vey fine and modest value for and athlon64

but the low temperatures are not that important - it will be rather important that your cpu will not get too hot when running for hours running demanding games or even video conversions

in my case i have hardly ever reached 50°C after hours of gaming and additional fans on

in most cases the temp was ~45°C but of course 55 or 60 wont hurt that much either but i try to keep cpu, mainboard/chipset and of course harddrives as cool as possible with a tolerable noise level

Thanks UncasMS, Thats what i was trying to find out about the temps, I dont do any gaming yet, but i do use Shrink, im still useing the kid gloves on this pc.
                      Last edited by mill; 26 Feb 2006, 09:44 AM.
                      Keep Plugin away

Comment

Working...