Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zanos
    • Jan 2006

cant run regedit help

I have a AMD system. I have gotten a virus recently. I have to remove it from the registry. When i try to run regedit it says (regedit is not a valid win32 application) I am using win. XP pro as my os. can anyone give me some clues as where i should start.
    Zanos
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by Zanos
    I have a AMD system. I have gotten a virus recently. I have to remove it from the registry. When i try to run regedit it says (regedit is not a valid win32 application) I am using win. XP pro as my os. can anyone give me some clues as where i should start.
    Zanos
    Go here and do the scan.

I am sure the virus will not allow you to run any applications, winword, excel etc and even your AV, any .com and .exe files.

Once you find the virus name, use the tools to remove it completely. You will find detailed instructions along with the removal tool.

Comment

• Cambion7
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Nov 2005

If your registry was modified by the virus/trojan file, changes may have been made to the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
      "DisallowRun"=dword:00000001

Also there may have been entries made to

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun]

and lastly, the on bit may have been set to

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]
      "DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000001

In order to see if you can fix it you can either try to copy and paste the following to a text file, name it fix.reg and execute it. I'll attach the file as well. Copy from between the dashed lines and paste in a text editor.
      ----
      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
      "DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000
      ----

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,
      Cam
      Attached Files
      Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
      - Confidence

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

or do what I did when it happened to me earlier this week, just go to the windows folder and use regedit from there

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

how'd you get the virus chewy?
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• uufta
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Dec 2005

"Autoruns" is a good program to manually remove something from your registry, (google it and download)
            and its free

better yet: http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/autoruns.html
            Last edited by uufta; 3 Mar 2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by anonymez
              how'd you get the virus chewy?
              well since we were talking protection and I was getting ready to reload, I thought I would go out and find a dangerous file, hehe, I scanned with norton's but knew what was gonna happen. seemed to have beat it!
              it was a trojan!

Comment

Working...