Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knownote
    • Aug 2005

activating windows?

I just reformatted my C drive and reloaded XP from my Dell re-installation disc. (not easy on a dell I found out!)

Someone told me that I have to activate windows again, but I don't see an activate windows option in the system tools, so does that mean I'm ok and it's not gonna shut me off in 30 days?

I remember seeing something about registering windows when it booted back up the first time, but I didn't mess with it, and I've not seen it since.
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Please don't worry. It won't happen. The activation is needed when you own a retail version of windows XP not a OS preloaded with your PC. When you re-install the windows XP, it will ask to register your PC with the company which built your pc for tracking warranty and advertisement purposes

Regards

Comment

• knownote
      • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by benbryant
      Please don't worry. It won't happen. The activation is needed when you own a retail version of windows XP not a OS preloaded with your PC. When you re-install the windows XP, it will ask to register your PC with the company which built your pc for tracking warranty and advertisement purposes

Regards
      Thanks for the info! I'm glad I didn't register it now, The computer's out of warranty anyway, don't need dell sending me any junk e-mails.
      Thanks again,

joe

Comment

Working...