• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toomanycats
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2005

Kingston Ram

I just replaced the ram in my computer a couple of months ago because if was defective. Kingston honoured the lifetime warrantee rather easily and quickly. I checked the ram a couple of weeks ago a found that the 2 gigs I hand installed was showing up as 1.5 gigs. One of the 512mb cards went bad. I had a spare one and replaced it. All is back to normal. Kingstone has replaced this card no questions asked. My computer ran much better with the bad card removed, and even better back up at 2 gigs. I have had ram problems in the past which seem to emulate some of the problems I have seen people posting about, i.e. jerky video, sound problems. That ram card was only 3 weeks old and went bad so sometimes it is the basics that mess up otherwise funtioning software.
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

I put 2GB (4x 512MB) of Kingston Valueram in my new pc. It also showed at only 1.5GB. I then noticed the one of the cards was a little different and was slightly bigger. I took it out and it still showed as 1.5GB. I took the stick back to the shop and replaced it with a new one. I now have 2GB (or 1920MB as I use onboard graphics).

Was yours Valueram?

Comment

• futurex
      Outlaw Ridah
      • Mar 2005

i purchaesed 2GB corsair (2 x 1GB), mobo only detected 1GB. updated bios, all became well
      Futurex

Comment

• toomanycats
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2005

Yes it was value ram, PC2700. It always makes me nervous when they put "value" in front of something. You don't see "O.K." ram or this is our "crappy" . I can't believe how much ram has dropped recently, now is the time to upgrade. Maybe Kingston will have a "This Ram is beter than the crap we sold you last time" Ram. Actually they were really "cool" in replacing it. (Do people still say "cool" ?).

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

i just aded 512 kingston to make 1 gb, but had hardtime finding same chip. i had dual sided chip. only difference is the chips on the ram stick says kingston on the older one. new one says somthing like infenion or hynex or somthing.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• toomanycats
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2005

Kingston told me as long as the mother board does not require dual channel you can put different sizes. My Asus board has three dim slots so it isn't a dual channel set up. Kingston actually will tell you what you can use on your board if you call them though getting thru takes a little time.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

I like to know what's going on with my ram, it may take a trip into bios but
              using your ram to it's full potential is critical in optimizing your computer.
              CPU-Z for Windows® x86/x64 is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system : Processor name and number, codename, process, package, cache levels. Mainboard and chipset. Memory type, size, timings, and module specifications (SPD). Real time measurement of each core's internal frequency, memory frequency. CPU-Z is fully supported on Windows® 11. The CPU-Z‘s detection engine is now available for customized use through the CPUID System Information Development Kit, a professional SDK built for the Microsoft Windows & Android.

is one of the programs I use to look at how my ram is running
              another tells me a little more
              EVEREST Home Edition is a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution for home PC users, based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology....

Memory Bus 251.98 MHz
              Memory Timings 2.5-4-4-10 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
              Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules:
              DIMM1: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
              DIMM2: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

Comment

• toomanycats
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2005

I used to use a program to free up ram but found thay my computer actually slowed up. If the ram is there use it. If it isn't enough, get more, especially with todays low prices. I do a lot of CAD and Ram rules.

Comment

Working...