Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Capt F
    • Nov 2004

Transfer VHS Tapes to DVD

Want to transfer old, analog, VHS tapes to a DVD format, through the burner of my Computer.
    What is the Best and Fastest hardware / software to do this?

I have tried Pinnacles Instant DVD recorder it sometimes does a fair job. It has the right idea, but upgrades and support are lacking.
    Sometimes it loads and sometimes it doesn’t.. The sound timing is off.

Is this the correct forum to ask this question?
  • toomanycats
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2005

I bought a K-world card from tigerdirect.com which was really cheap and works very well. I would recommend a PCI card as they as fastest and most reliable. I liked Powerdirector and Ulead software. Stay away from anything that says Pinnacle in my opinion. I was stupid enough to give them two chances and both products (DC10Plus and Dazzle USB) failed miserably.

Comment

• Capt F
      • Nov 2004

How do you get the VHS signal/files into your PC.
      Are there analog ports on the card?

The tape playing VCR just has the yellow, red and white ports.

Comment

• Gary D
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

If you have a large quantity, why not get a dual DVDr/VHS machine. You could then use rewritable discs and do the editting on your computer? Most VHS tapes today are pretty old. My main worry would be the fall out from the magnetic tape. I am not an expert in this area but you would have to clean the heads of the VHS VCR every time you change tapes. You could try Videohelp from my signature about the different players.
        Gary D

Comment

• toomanycats
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2005

My capture card had composite (yellow RCA Plug) and S-Video. The sound goes into your sound input on your mother board or soundcard. As far as cleaning the heads on the VCR, that is really easy to do, I had a TV Repair shop and have showed many people how to do this. Do not use a Head cleaning tape, they suck. Use a chamois and just spin the head while holding the chamois dipped in Alcohol (moist, only!!) against the drum, gently rotating the chamois.. NEVER GO UP AND DOWN, this will damage the heads. Hold it still and just spin the head till it is shiney. The heads are in those tiny slots on the bottom of the drum they are little coils covered with ceramic. The "Stiction" from the drum is what causes most problems.

Comment

• Capt F
            • Nov 2004

Thank you will try info

Thank you for the info.I would like to put the tapes throught my PC. will work with the capture card, I also have other devices that would benifit with a better card.

Comment

Working...