Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s2c
    • Feb 2006

USB to IDE

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Would anyone have any idea how I may get my dvd burner, connected to a USB to IDE adapter , to be seen as a legit dvd burner. At the moment it says it is a removable drive and asks for a disk to be inserted, but it doesnt read or play the disk. The driver supplied with the adapter is only applicable for win98, I'm on xp and mystified.
    thanks
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    would anyone have any idea how i may get my dvd rom con
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

which adapter?

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

I have never had much luck with these USB to IDE things as they work one minute and not the next. I would get a USB 2.0 5.25" enclosure. They are cheap nowadays.

Comment

• s2c
        • Feb 2006

Hi chewy, the adapter is a no brand name, made in china. The power supply has the letters OGD on it but no other marks.
        The box says "quality skymaster connections" "certified usb 2.0 hi-speed"
        thats it though.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

probably only works with hard drives

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

USB IDE Adapters can work with any IDE device. I have used CD and DVD drives with them.

Comment

• s2c
              • Feb 2006

And NWG, did you have any problems with the dvd being seen as a dvd player and could you play dvds/ burn with it plugged in via the adapter to the usb? Did you have to load a driver?

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

does your burning softwear see the drive?

xp doesn't need a driver

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by s2c
                  And NWG, did you have any problems with the dvd being seen as a dvd player and could you play dvds/ burn with it plugged in via the adapter to the usb? Did you have to load a driver?

The drive just worked like it was connected internally. It played whatever disc I put in it. XP doesn't need a driver.

Comment

• s2c
                    • Feb 2006

Yes, my paperwork also said no driver needed with xp. But, alas, it doesnt see a disk in the drive. It only saw that it was a removeable drive. It did ask to insert a disk, but when i did, it still kept asking for a disk. I didnt try the burning software to see if it recognised the drive. I stopped doing anything when I couldnt get it to read a disk. Maybe I'll have to return it cos it wont do what it's supposed to do. And wouldnt you believe it, the dvd burner in my pc is no longer being seen either. Keeps saying device is not ready. AAARGH

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

what kind of disk won't it see?

Comment

• s2c
                        • Feb 2006

home made cd or dvd ( dont know which, has no label)
                        a legit dvd movie.
                        When I plug the Usb in, it pops up with found new hardware, even correctly sees the model. Then on the My Computer screen it is only described as a cd player. That could be because this laptop only has a cd burner/dvd rom. Maybe doesnt have the software to cope with a dvd burner. However putting it on the laptop which has a dvd burner, the My Computer screen does show a dvd ram drive. But is still asking to insert a disk. I can right click on the drive and get it to eject.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

what's the dvd burner?
                          and have you tried the adapter and burner on another computer

Comment

Working...