? about replacing internal dvd writer???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smkymntgrl
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Feb 2005

? about replacing internal dvd writer???

I just found out that my internal dvd writer's laser was bad. Or so the friendly customer technical support guy at HP told me. They are sending me a new drive to replace the old one.

My question is how hard is it to take out the old and put in the new? He assured me it was easy but of course to those of us who aren't real computer savvy, sounds kinda scary, for me, of all people to be taking apart my pc.

I know alot of you have probably done this so if you have any input for me I would surely appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Smkymntgrl

Check for Firmware Updates HERE.
    Read THIS to Find Out How to Find and Post Your Nero Log.
    READ the Golden Rules of Burning.

Knowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens
    - Jimi Hendrix
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Hi smkymntgrl,

It is very simple though. If you haven't done it and never opened the PC case before, please go to the HP support site, enter your PC particular model and look for the complete instruction "how to do" with pictures such as replacing optical drives or memory modules...Make sure the jumper on the back of the new drive is set exactly like the old one

Regards

Comment

• shifty
      • May 2006

Replacing optical drive

As above as long as the jumper settings are the same, there isnt much else to it apart from up to 3 things,

1, IDE cable (normally a flat grey ribbon like cable ) - this sends the information to and from the motherboard, there will have a notch on the drive that lines up to a nub on the connector to make sure it goes in correctly, if not, there will be a red line down one side of the cable, this edge goes closest to the power cable.

2, Power cable - this has 4 pins known as a molex connector and also has bevelled edges to ensure it goes in correctly, not much else happens with this it just pushes in and can be quite stiff.

3, Audio cable - not all drives have them installed, this is a single wire with spade like connectors on the ends to send audio to and from the Motherboard, check motherboard istructions to find here this goes on the motherboard should you disconnect it.

General info -

Static is something to be concerned with when dealing with components so touch each component as little as possible, one thing that also helps is to leave the tower plugged in to the mains ( switched off ) to allow it to earth the static, this should then help to draw the static from you when you touch the unpainted surface inside just before you start to do any work. Still look at the HP site to get info on how to get access to the screws to be able to slide the drive out as this can somethimes requires removal of bezels etc... good luck

Hope this helps

Shifty

Comment

• a2j3
        If it aint broke, don't fix it
        • Feb 2006

Hello Smkymntgrl

click this link for hp. this is how I learned 2 install hp dvd writer. Hope this helps.
        sigpic

Comment

• smkymntgrl
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Feb 2005

Thanks for the input guys. It's supposed to be here the 19th. I'll look into the HP website in the mean time. I just figured I would get all the advice I could from people that have had experience with this. Don't want to screw up my PC. You would think one would last longer then 6 months but guess not!!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Smkymntgrl

- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

• Kabuchan
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Apr 2006

Hi Smkymntgrl

Its easy! I know next to nothing about PCs and I did it. I found the info here when I googled for instructions. Been here ever since!

Just make sure that you plug the plugs in the same place you took them out of. You'll understand when you see it.
            That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

it's super easy smky even for someone who has never done it. burning properly and updating firmware for some is more of a challenge!
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• locoeng
                Who Farted?
                • Dec 2005

Easy peasy, the hardest part is getting the cover back onto your case.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                Walt Kelly

Comment

• smkymntgrl
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Feb 2005

Thanks for the moral support guys! It actually came today, I was suprised! I probably won't mess with it till next week, got company coming from out of state coming for the next few days (from your neck of the woods loco) so it will probably have to wait.

"Easy Peasy" that reminds me of "The Greatest Game" that was a good movie!

Smkymntgrl

- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

easy-peasy, japaneasy. shawshank redemption. brooks hatlen(james whittmore)
                    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                    Columbo moments...
                    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• smkymntgrl
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Feb 2005

Didn't recognize it from Shawshank, that's one of my hubby's favorite movies!
                      The little caddy in "The Greatest Game" said it. I just watched it a couple of weeks ago!

Smkymntgrl

- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

mine too. i believe it's when he's showing andy how the library is run.
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

• locoeng
                          Who Farted?
                          • Dec 2005

easy peasy lemon squeezy...ausitin powers

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                          Walt Kelly

Comment

• Kabuchan
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                            easy-peasy, japaneasy. shawshank redemption. brooks hatlen(james whittmore)
                            Liked the movie, good book too. The Green Mile was good movie too with Tom Hanks, David Morse, and Michael Clarke Duncan, but the book was incredible.
                            That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

green mile excellente too yes.
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...