Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turet
    • Dec 2003

Can't Read Data DVD-R's After Installing Nero InCD

I know a lot of folks here use Nero, maybe you know about this issue. There are some conversations like this on the web, but not this exact problem.

Nero says that MS made changes such that DVD-RW's are no longer workable, so they don't recommend installing the InCD portion of Nero 7. However, I had to retrieve some data and had to install it. Since then when burning data DVD-Rs, using Nero Express or Burning ROM, the burn seems fine but when I try to read the disk later with my ROM drive, it says the file must be corrupted or something and it can't read it. The total bytes available don't reflect there is anything on the disk. If I read the disk using my RW drive, it can see the data, so it is definitely there. I can read older data disks with no problem.

I have been using Nero for the past few years and have never had any problems like this at all. I have no problem copying disks or making MP3's or any other type, just the data disks.

I tried using Nero's "clean tool" to remove Nero 7.0 and reinstall the latest version. Clean Tool asked if I wanted to prevent InCD from initializing at start up and I said yes. However Clean Tool crashes every time I try to use it, so I'm not sure it really finished the procedure. I installed the latest Nero anyway and that didn't help.

I have amassed an impressive collection of platters...would really like to fix this problem as these data DVDs are now a main backup of my files (after an external HD). Thanks!
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

what version of nero are you using?
    how old are your drives(dvd)?

Comment

• benbryant
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Aug 2005

There is a separate Nero InCD Cleantool which is use mainly to remove Nero infamous InCD. If the problem persists, please reinstall Nero 7.0 including InCD, uninstall InCD with InCD Cleantool (I haven't ever installed InCD before and never know for sure that InCD does run on the taskbar or not. If it does, please right-click its icon and choose Close or Disable if you can to stop it from running). I include the link of Nero Cleantool for all. Please choose the right one apllied to your version. And please stay away from InCD if you want to be able to sleep over night

Centre de téléchargement Nero - Découvrez nos produits ! ✓Nero Platinum Suite ✓Nero Single Products ✓Nero Content Packs ✓Free Products ✓Free Tools ✓Windows Store Apps ► Plus d'infos ici

Regards

Comment

• turet
        • Dec 2003

I have run Clean Tool and it freezes up every time. Nero help gave me instructions for manually removing files and registry items. Windows wouldn't let me delete the remaining files (which seemed pretty inconsequential and harmless) and I did take out the remaining registry items, which were also pretty small items. Then I reinstalled the latest version. I'm running Nero 7.XXX. I have updated to the latest version whenever there was one available, so I have all patches, etc. I'm still having the same problem.

I suspect that InCD corrupted a Windows file, but after searching the web and the MS knowledge base, I just can't identify which one. I'm going to wait 3 days for the next response from Nero help and if that doesn't help, I'm going to wipe the HD and rebuild all my software. What a hassle! And, because of a screw up from my builder, requiring a new MB, I have no versions of Windows Xp that can be authenticated and so it will cost me $300. I'm not a happy camper.

I had to install InCD, as I needed some data on my disks. Since I can't read the -R backups I made of that data, I guess it was a waste of time anyway. I'm sure not going to install InCD again.

Nero tells you that MS has admitted that it will no longer work and there's nothing to be done about it. And just installing it requires many manual hoops -- that's how intent Nero is that you not install it. But they never told me it would destroy the rest of the program. That I would have listened to.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...