X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • l8nights
    DD folding team
    • Jun 2005

The Dapper (ubuntu)

I have just recieved my copies of ubuntu ( I had to order them due to slow connection)

I have done some reading and would like to install/test ubuntu running along with of windows. just to make sure I don't lose any program support.

I have found this guide > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

but would like to hear any feedback, warnings, or advice that members here may have to give before attempting to do so.

also Iuse many of the same programs that I suppose many here do ripit4me, dvdrebuilder, imgburn, F@H, to name a few. has anyone experienced any bad behaviors using these progs, should I be able to use them with out any special config??

thanx 4 any advice.
    The future doesn't just happen its created through our actions or inactions~ today!

• UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

good luck, l8er

have a go at dapper drake and tell us how you like it

i will give it a go sometimes later when i find a little more time for setting up another machine

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

been using ubuntu, suse & knoppix for some time now, ubuntu+compiz/aixgl is my current favourite, suse a close 2nd.

installation is quite easy, imho a guide isn't really needed (though partitioning/mounting may be difficult for newbies). my advice is to read up a little on paritioning; root, home, swap drive etc (or just ask here )

many DV apps (notably ffmpeg) are actually written under linux, so no shortage there-- for everything else use wine; iirc dvd shrink, avisynth, imgburn, decrypter all work well though there are alternatives.

looking forward to edgy final release, expect it in october
      Last edited by anonymez; 9 Aug 2006, 11:38 AM.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• l8nights
        DD folding team
        • Jun 2005

I have used wine for some things also but never in the pc usually in front of it. LOL

I'm just getting comfortable with the live cd, I will have to wait til I get some spare time to go about installing. maybe (hopfully) even replacing windows

uncas when you get it set-up let me know.

I'm sizing up a new x2 am2 build, and this may just save me some on a new version of xp or worse vista :O
        I think linux may see a large crowd coming from the general direction of the windows beast??
        Last edited by l8nights; 9 Aug 2006, 10:43 PM.
        The future doesn't just happen its created through our actions or inactions~ today!

Comment

Working...