Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • No Limitz
    • Aug 2006

Are these any good? (building a PC)

Last edited by No Limitz; 17 Aug 2006, 05:49 PM.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

welcome to the forum

I don't like tigerdirect usa very much, but the canada branch seems to be more above board, this cpu tested very close to the one you linked,
    the extra L2 on the 4400 doesn't help much since the X2's have an integrated memory controller

that memory is crap, I do not like it, have used some and had nothing but problems out of it running at rated speeds, that socket 939 mobo and cpu are a killer combination and need very good memory to keep up with them.

you might find an even better deal somewhere else

Comment

• toomanycats
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Apr 2005

Sorry to disagree with you Chewy but I have spent probably around $8000 dollars U.S. at Tigerdirect USA in the last 10 years and I have found them to be excellent. They always stand behind what they sell. Their extended warantees can't be beat. I purchased an LCD Projector and they accepted the return even though Toshiba would not!!!! (Bad Pixels in the A section) and then referred me to their supplier for a model which they did not carry and I recieved a discount for being a Tiger customer!!.. They will beat anybody's price on the same product, I just think you can't go wrong with them.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

disagree all you want, I have spent a lot more in the last 3 years with newegg

just see the resellers ratings for tiger direct

newegg isn't #1 for no reason

they didn't even have a decent selection of memory

he's chosen a premium motherboard and needs premium memory to go with it

Comment

• No Limitz
          • Aug 2006

Thanks for the heads up.
          I'm going to search Tiger for the memory you reccomended to cut back on shipping. Though if the price is much higher i'll probably order from NCIX.

Edit: Blah nvm, found better deal elsewhere.
          Last edited by No Limitz; 18 Aug 2006, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• toomanycats
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2005

I am going with personal experience. If your personal experience with Newegg is great, then great. Tiger has provided me with a very personal buying experience as I do not purchase anything without talking to a "live" person, so this is what my experience is. They have always been generous with technical support or questions. I have never purchased anything from Newegg, so I can offer no opinion ,as Tiger has always beat their price. I seldom rely on ratings services or Consumer Reports types as they are usually biased, as is everyone to some extent. I have bookmarked Newegg and will browse their website though because from what I have read of your posts I believe you have greater knowledge than me on hardware and I have an open mind. I can always use them to beat down prices with Tiger is the very least.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

I have an associate who pricematches very well, he also gets on the phone and negotiates the best deal until he gets bottom dollar. Unfortunately he takes it to extremes, even buying preassembled computers from China.
              The money he saves causes me a lot of grief when they come back and I have to figure out what part went bad. Course I charge. As long as you don't bottom feed at tiger direct you are OK. TigerDirect got a horrible reputation back about 4-5 years ago, they are probably trying to give the egg some competetion.

Comment

Working...