Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robfromhull
    • Aug 2006

download problem

i was wondering if you nice people could give me some advice. i have been trying to download some bits and bobs over the past few days and appear to have a little problem. when i select the download link and get the option to run or save, i usually select save and save to desktop so i can virus scan before running. however recently when i save to desktop, the application downloads then just disappears!!. it doesnt appear on the desktop and if i run a search, its never found. also if i select run instead of save, it does the same once it has downloaded. i was just wondering if anybody could shed any light on why my downloads are ""disappearing"

thanks in advance
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Hi rob,

Are you certain that the file is actually downloading? Can you see a status box showing the progress of the download? If you are using the latest version of I.E., for example, default settings prevent downloads; if you watch under the address bar, you will see another bar appear when you try to download or save, asking you if you want to allow it.

If you don't notice the bar appear, you may think the download is taking place when it actually is not. Don't know if this is your problem or not, but I have seen this on some family members pcs' when they didn't notice the I.E. block... it is easy to overlook.

regards, katz

Comment

• robfromhull
      • Aug 2006

it certainley shows all indications that it is downloading - the dialogue box disappears once the progress bar has completed - its as if the box marked "close this dialogue box when download completes" has been checked but it isnt - i havent changed my ie settings at all so im at a loss as to what has happened

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

that's a tough one, for sure! well, I guess if you run a search & it isn't found, it must have not downloaded after all. Are you running any type of download helper applications? Sometimes they (download helper applications) are installed along w/ other programs, a payload that you didn't originally want.

Comment

• robfromhull
          • Aug 2006

im not aware of any download helpers. even if i had one i wouldn't know what it looked like never mind get rid of it!!!!!. what would it look like and how would i get rid of it??

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

A few questions; Do you have a particular "downloads" folder say, on your desktop, & are you certain that when you download the file, that you are pointing it to the folder?

Are you running antivirus & firewall software? Have you run Spybot or HijackThis? (adware/malware removers) To me, it sounds like something may be infecting the pc...

even if not, it wouldn't hurt to do those scans anyway. Just covering some of the basics...

Comment

• robfromhull
              • Aug 2006

i dont have any particular folder on my desktop i just click save and select desktop - i normally always save to desktop so i can virus check b4 installing. also when i click "save" once it has downloaded it disappears. if i click "run", once the download completes i get the security warning and option to "run" or "dont run" and when i click run, it again disappears. i have avg inti-virus, spybot search and destroy and zone alarm firewall. i have re-run all of these and no virus/malware have been found. thanks for you continued support and hope i am not taxing your "grey matter" to the point of spontaneous combustion!!!!

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

download this file
                RipIt4Me.zip

then search for files and folders on your computer, where did it go?

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

Well rob,

sounds like you have checked/covered all the basis; I was looking around on google/mamma/yahoo, & found some vague references to this problem, to do with spyware,etc., but nothing concrete to go on. Maybe some other users will have ideas to go on;

Also, maybe consider a system restore to an earlier date, since it worked okay for you in the past.

Comment

• robfromhull
                    • Aug 2006

tried to download ripit4me and the same thing happened """"it just disappeared""" tried a search with no results also i have tried a system restore to the earliest time possible but with no joy so at the moment im stuck as i cant download anything. have just tried downloading and update to ccleaner but with the same symptoms

Comment

• vw56german
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jun 2005

To me this sounds very suspicious. Not being able to download a know good program?? Seems it would be time for an intensive scan in safe mode for all types of spyware, viruses, malware, etc.

Comment

• robfromhull
                        • Aug 2006

have tried everything in safe mode - no virus/malware/spyware found. still have the problem though. im at a loss over what it could be. please keep your suggestions coming. somethings got to work!!!!!!
                        thanks again

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

go into msconfig, disable all, reboot, verify with ctrl/alt/del that only essential services are running

test download again

Comment

• robfromhull
                            • Aug 2006

disabled everything but when i rebooted i could not log on to internet to test download - do i disable just the stuff in startup or do i have to disable other processes also when i tried to disable everything i got a message saying on certain processes access is denied and that i have to be logged on as an administrator. i do have administrator rights when i log on

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

you'll have to use a working computer, but download hijackthis, and transfer to your computer and post a log here

might be easier and quicker to just do a clean install of windows

I suspect a bad trojan

Comment

Working...