Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinook9
    • Jul 2006

Feedback on New System Please?

I am planning to put together a new system entirely for encoding. I have done a lot of research, however, there is a lot that I don't know and I would like to get input from those of you who know alot more than I do. Most prices are from Newegg.

Core2Duo e6300 OEM ($169.99)
    Asus P5B Deluxe ($184.99)
    Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) PC2 6400 ($240) (Could get OCZ Platinum Revision 2 ($266))
    Zalman CNPS7000 AlCu
    Sapphire Radeon X550 256MB DDR PCI Express ($54.99) (Adequate at that price.)
    Antec SmartPower 2.0 500 Watt (already have it)

I plan to overclock as high as I can get it to go easily (hopefully 400MHz) without excessive heat.

I will encode primarily with DVDRebuilder, the various encoders it can use, and I often use Avisynth filters.

I NEVER play games so I don't think the video card is an issue.

(1) Do I need 2GB of RAM for encoding? I generally leave the machine alone when its encoding. Is the Corsair better? Its cheaper only because of $40 rebate.

(2) I chose the Zalman 7000 because of its weight, size and because it directs air towards the heatpipe exchanger on the motherboard. There are other coolers I like better but they do not direct the airstream towards the heatpipe. Is this important on this motherboard?

(3) The new BIOS for the P5B allows unlocking the multiplier downward. Does this make a difference in processor chosen?

NOTE: I plan to stay with my two current ATA100 hard drives due to substantial additional cost for SATA hard drives.
    Last edited by chinook9; 27 Oct 2006, 02:12 AM.
Working...