X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phillip
    • May 2006

Microsoft Windows Xp Media Center

Guys

If I buy a PC with microsft windows xp media center would I still need to buy a TV card turner to be able to view TV on my PC....infact does anybody know what it does coz already I am able to play music in my PC and watch movies and if I wanted to connect my PC to the TV I suppose I'd buy the connection cables.What does the media center do and would i still need a TV Turner card if I buy a PC that has Microsoft windows xp media center?
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by Phillip
    Guys

If I buy a PC with microsft windows xp media center would I still need to buy a TV card turner to be able to view TV on my PC....infact does anybody know what it does coz already I am able to play music in my PC and watch movies and if I wanted to connect my PC to the TV I suppose I'd buy the connection cables.What does the media center do and would i still need a TV Turner card if I buy a PC that has Microsoft windows xp media center?
    Can play, pause and record live TV.

Comment

• InspAbberline
      Still Chasing Jack the Ripper
      • Oct 2006

Mediacenter supports new protection on closed cable systems that prevent capture of premium content. Most people complain about the bad programs included with these computers anyway.

Comment

• MikeyBK
        Digital Video Maniac
        • Feb 2006

Not all PCs with Windows Media Center come with the TV Tuner card installed. So you'll have to decide if you want it pre-installed on a system you purchase or buy your own, buying your own will give you better options on which tuner card and which capabilities you'd like.
        MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
        Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
        ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
        Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
        XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
        Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
        Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
        *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
        *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Phillip
          • May 2006

Sounds to me like all that the media centre gives is some bizzare luxury which maybe is hard to describe. My friend has windows xp and a tv card installed on his PC he still does watch TV and Record shows to watch whenever he likes.

Already I can watch DVDs in my PC......Techreactor pause live tV???

I still dont figure what microsoft media centre can offer that windows xp does not offer...........somebody tell me more do it as if you are a salesperson for microsoft

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

in simplest words its a software made to run ontop of xp so u can do all things on tv. means its made to work best on TV. so its like a replacement for ur vcr / dvd / radio /home theater amplifier /..... + u can put 2 tuners in one machine means see one record other.

[Should u buy one.... realy depends on ur needs, if it will be used as a pc dont bother gettin MCE]
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Bay_wolf
              Tribal Wolf
              • Feb 2006

If you already have a computer that is powerful enough just buy a hauppauge 150 card and use the freeware GBPVR instead of MCE as it doesn't put protection on it at all. If you have any questions about GBPVR either go to www.gbpvr.com forums or www.byopvr.com forums and the byopvr forums are for anything like MCE or other PVR questions.

bay_wolf

Comment

• toomanycats
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2005

I thinking buying into Windows Media Center is giving tacit approval to all the copyright DRM restrictions the world has to offer.

Comment

• Phillip
                  • May 2006

here is a deal:

i have got an old pc which still operates on Windows NT. A dealer is offering to install and sell me a microsft media centre license for $160....I want to use my PC as a TV for my bedroom.......but still it doesnt make perfect sense to me..if I pay $160 for Microsft Media Center I'd still have to buy a DVD ROM and a TV card for nother $160 which will total $320.

Wouldnt be better instead to upgrade Windows NT to Windows XP, buy a DVD Rom and buy TV Card for $200 insted of the $320 i'd spend if I get microsft media centre?

Comment

• Steve83
                    Bronco Guru
                    • May 2006

Media Center is nothing but a PITA. It's loaded up with some crappy multimedia software that's confusing & largely pointless. It's like having Media Player integrated into the OS, but not as useful.

Buy a good ATI All-In-Wonder card with a built-in tuner (or several) & a good sound card with lots of ins & outs. Everything else can be done with freeware or 3rd-party software.
                    Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!

Comment

• MikeyBK
                      Digital Video Maniac
                      • Feb 2006

Wouldnt be better instead to upgrade Windows NT to Windows XP, buy a DVD Rom and buy TV Card for $200 insted of the $320 i'd spend if I get microsft media centre?
                      You've answered your own decision.

I also agree that Media Center is not essential to do what you want.
                      MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
                      Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
                      ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
                      Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
                      XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
                      Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
                      Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
                      *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
                      *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• atifsh
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2003

here is a deal:

i have got an old pc which still operates on Windows NT. A dealer is offering to install and sell me a microsft media centre license for $160....I want to use my PC as a TV for my bedroom.......but still it doesnt make perfect sense to me..if I pay $160 for Microsft Media Center I'd still have to buy a DVD ROM and a TV card for nother $160 which will total $320.

now if ur older pc is not somwhere near 2.0 ghz or above [i dought it is as it runs NT] MCE is useless.

u dont want to spent 160 $ on a piece of software thats soon tobe replaced by vista home premium with better media center function.

also mce 2005 is like xp home edition with almost all its limitatiopns.
                        i say if u need a tv go buy a small tv, or lcd tv they r not that expensive now.
                        Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Phillip
                          • May 2006

Thanks guys. Now I can make a sound decision. I almost made a wrong decision. It helps to come here and consult. I am going to buy you all ice creams, you have done a good job

Comment

• Steve83
                            Bronco Guru
                            • May 2006

OK, thanks. Mail mine with LOTS of dry ice - it's a long way from SA to TN.
                            Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!

Comment

• anonymez
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2004

lots of MCE negativity here...

as mentioned it's basically xp home but with an app called "media center" that allows you to watch tv, dvds, music, voip, news, weather etc. IMO it's really the best app for a HTPC. far from versatile but wonderful interface, quite stable and runs rather well on modest systems (basically 2.4GHz+, dx9 compatible graphics card essential). since it uses wmp for both video & audio getting it to play certain formats can be troublesome but are remedied easily with registry hacks and filter merit

i've tried damn near all free offerings. mediaportal would be my choice if it wasn't so sluggish
                              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...