X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phillip
    • May 2006

Slow Computer

Guys

my computer works fine but it is extremely slow when i try to back up the system through acronis and when i try to shrinks a dvd. The decrypter works fine but when I try to use a shrink it shows 48 hours of processing time....when i try to back up with acronis its still slow

i upgraded an old computer,never tried anything with it before.....i dont know how this helps but its written "x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 3 and 512MB of RAM"

Please help
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Check your DMA on your drives and make sure it is enabled...LINK

And read these 3 links about speeding up your computer ... LINK1 .... LINK2 ... LINK3

And scan your computer for spyware and viruses. Make sure you defrag your HD.
    Last edited by Gary D; 18 Nov 2006, 06:08 AM. Reason: Add more info
    Gary D

Comment

• techreactor
      Banned
      • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by Phillip
      Guys

my computer works fine but it is extremely slow when i try to back up the system through acronis and when i try to shrinks a dvd. The decrypter works fine but when I try to use a shrink it shows 48 hours of processing time....when i try to back up with acronis its still slow

i upgraded an old computer,never tried anything with it before.....i dont know how this helps but its written "x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 3 and 512MB of RAM"

Please help
      Can you provide more details on your CPU and MB, download cpuz if you dont know how to check manually.

Comment

• Phillip
        • May 2006

thanks tech, is the info below what you are talking about?

Last edited by Phillip; 21 Nov 2006, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• Phillip
          • May 2006

gee, its just not clear enough. is that the info you are talking about tho?

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 3
            thats Pentium 3 and i think its under 1 ghz

extremely slow when i try to back up the system through acronis
            i assume ur using a slower 5400 rpm harddrive that may also not using dma above 2 that slows down the writing. also i found backingup acronis took a while on few systems i tried having just one harddrive and writing to sameone is not fast, and the restore well took ages.
            Last edited by atifsh; 21 Nov 2006, 09:22 PM.
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...